Need help with my list - yes, I read the "chances" sticky...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanktank7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a reapplicant and need some help with my school list. My goal here is not to get commentary on whether or not I am a competitive candidate in general (I hope I am), but to get an idea of how I can apply wisely to minimize application costs.

My stats:
First MCAT (last year): 30S - 12P 7V 11B
Second MCAT (this year): 35O - 12P 11V 12B

GPA: 3.8 Bio major at a UC school (not CA resident tho)

Research: 1.5 year thesis in undergrad, 2 years research post-bacc fulltime - no accepted pubs but submitting a 1st and 3rd author by October

Extras: Shadow 50hrs in US, Shadow/Clinical research 150hrs abroad (all pediatrics)

*NOT an underrepresented minority applicant*

Submitted Primaries (in order of preference, md/phd only):

Top:
UPenn
Harvard
U of Washington
Hopkins
Emory
NYU
UCLA
Yale
Case Western

Mid:
Columbia
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
UCI
UNC

Low:
OHSU
Maryland
Alabama
UCD
Medical College of Georgia

Questions: Is this list overkill, too few, too top heavy? I am interested in infectious disease (molecular epi, immunology, pathology...) - any schools not on my list that are particularly good for this? I am amcas verified and submitting secondaries now. Any advice greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good.

I find your "tiers" amusing though as some of your middle schools are generally considered top tier and some of your top tiers are considered more middle.

Members don't see this ad :)
heh, I figured someone would notice my whacky tier preferences. I got some regional and research biases factored in there right now - this will likely change after some interviews...

heh, I figured someone would notice my whacky tier preferences. I got some regional and research biases factored in there right now - this will likely change after some interviews...

UCSF, Stanford, and UCI are definitely *not* mid-tier for MD/PhD:

UCSF: Average GPA last year was a 3.9, MCAT 37.5.
Stanford: The 2009 class has 5 students : (
UCI: "Over the past few years MCAT ranges were from 11 to 14 in all categories." In other words, no sub-11 scores in any section. [Although you have 11+ as well.]

Last edited:
Just to reiterate, my list is "my personal preference" I realize ucsf and stanford are top tier schools but honestly they do not appeal to me as much as say emory or case western. Why you ask? I am looking for research in infectious disease and emory has research opportunities at the CDC and Case has great research in this field as well.

Dont you think its a bit superficial to just rank md/phd programs based on US News and GPA/MCAT stats? I hope Im not alone in thinking this way.