Need help with PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with a few hints on how to go about the PS? I just took the Kaplan fl1 and did sooooo bad. I didn't realize how much I did not know!
I am using the 10 week home study from EK (which I reformulated to 14 weeks) and using TPR hyperlearning workbook for practice questions (also have 1001 but like TPR passage format better). In week 7 now. I am also doing note cards as I go along with my lectures, needless to say A LOT of time spent here. My flaw: I don't re-read my cards often (which I will do now!) I think the phys. is worse than the chem....what should I do?
I also checked out phys. Nova and Schaum' outline, but both seem too much in detail probably not needed for the MCAT (I could be wrong).

Any oppinions?

Thanks in advance E.

Members don't see this ad.

Two Words: BERKELEY REVIEW

Their physical science books (especially Gen Chem) are GOLD. They are by far the best resources available for ps (and I've tried them all). They increased my PS score a solid 3 points after I thought I couldnt improve anymore. Most importantly, as silly as it sounds, I really believe that by thoroughly studying their explanations that my critical thinking skills improved.

If you have the time, try to get these books..read every word..do every passage...and spend twice as much time reading every explanation. I gurantee you improve.

If you dont have too time to do this then I recommend you focus on doing tons of practice problems/passages and thoroughly reviewing yor answer. Even if you get something right, try to understand how you can arrive at the same answer in less time/ with less calculation. good luck

In my opinion, there are two types of questions in a given MCAT section. There are the need-to-know-information questions (the discreets and pseudo discreets) and the reading comprehension questions (info to answer the question is in the passage if you can find and infer it).

Once I figured out which category most of my wrong answers fell in (discreets at first, then reading comp later) I figured out how to tackle them. The discreets just require you to review the relevant information and make sure you know the basics. Did you miss a question because you confused molarity/molality? Review that until you have it down.

The reading comprehension problems are trickier. The only thing that worked for me was practice, practice, practice. After doing the umpteenth passage and question set, I got used to what to take note of while reading and what to skim. It's a skill that you can learn if you put the time into it and have the resources to keep doing new passages (which it sounds like you do).