prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Can soome one help me with these problems please..

1. What is the maximum value for 2sin(pi+x)+sin(x)+2

- How does sin(pi+x) equals -sin x???

2. what is the probablity of getting 3 tials when a coin is tossed 4 times?

Thanks in advance

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Florida
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
For #2 it should be 1/2 since each time you toss a coin there's half a chance of getting tails and 1/2 a chance of getting heads. If it asks the probability of getting 3 tails in 4 consecutive tosses than it should be 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2= 1/16

May 22, 2009
Status
  1. Dental Student
For #2 it should be 1/2 since each time you toss a coin there's half a chance of getting tails and 1/2 a chance of getting heads. If it asks the probability of getting 3 tails in 4 consecutive tosses than it should be 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2= 1/16

Hmm I don't think that's right. The way you're doing it the probability of getting 3 H/1 T is same as 2 H/ 2 T, or even 4 H (cause each would be 1/2). 1/16 would be the probability of getting exactly HHHT, but what about HHTH (another 1/16) or HTHH (another 1/16) or THHH (another 1/16). So it comes out to a total of 4/16 or 1/4.
But if you don't wanna count like that, (which you really cant for like one of the problems I saw asking this with 9 coins. You do this:
Total possible outcomes is 2^4 =16, right? Now how many ways can you choose 3 Heads out of 4 trials? Since it doesnt matter if you get HHHT or HHHT (lol), it's a combination 4C3 = 4!/3!1! = 4
So the probability of getting 3 heads out of the 4 trials is 4/16=1/4.

I think there was another way too, which can be used if the probability of the two events are not equal (what I said wouldn't work if the probability of getting a head was 2/3 and tail 1/3).
I think it had something like nCr*p^r*q^n-r (where p was the probability of the event u want and q was the complementary event I think). Don't quote me on this one though. This is what I remember right now, it can be wrong (likely). (but it does give the right answer here, 4C3=4, p=1/2, q=1/2, r=3, n=4, so you get 4*(1/2^3)*(1/2^1)=4/16, 1/4, so maybe that is the right one)

About the Ads
Jun 14, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Look at the sin wave graph. At pi you get a reversal of the value of sin. Every value of sin x is its negative at pi degrees shift. That leads to the trig identity sin (pi + x) = -sin x. also, cos (pi + x) = -cos x

prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
i still dont get the second one... thanks for clearing the 1st one though :p

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads