Need help with school list, please. 32 MCAT, 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffalosoldier51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, SDN. I was looking for a little bit of help finalizing my list of schools to apply to.

GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 32 (12/9/11)
Residence: VA
Degree: BS in a social science from state university

If I'm being objective, I probably have average ECs compared to other applicants. Should have pretty strong LORs.

I'd prefer to stay on the east coast if possible. Here's my preliminary list:

UVA (reach, but I'm in-state)
EVMS
VCU
Albert Einstein
Creighton
Drexel
Duke (reach)
Emory (reach)
Jefferson
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Temple
Tulane
USF
UCF
Miami
UNC (reach, especially for OOS)
USC
Wake Forest
West Virginia (might take this one off)

I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

what are your EC's specifically? Never say average, since they may be your "swing vote"

I don't recall the exact numbers for everything off the top of my head, but I have about 1 year doing research as an assistant, no publications.
~100 hours volunteering at a free health clinic (still active)
~25 hours volunteering for Hospice (still active)
~30 hours volunteering at a nursing home
~50-60 hours volunteering at an elementary school
~150 hours working as an ER scribe (still active)

I also have a few other things like working as a tutor or volunteering at events, but those are the biggest ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
seems nice, the big thing is be very aware of what you learned from your various experiences. don't quote me on this, but I believe that the experience is more important. like the hospice volunteering would look amazing if you learned good bedside manners, especially compared to some kid that "volunteered" but sat at a desk filing papers. also, if you don't mind check out my post! I would like some feed back! it is titled the time is coming.

Yeah, I definitely agree the experience makes all the difference. I interact directly w/ a Hospice patient and it's been a pretty humbling experience overall. I'll take a look at yours, though I'll admit I'm no expert on applying!

Last edited:
any advice is appreciated! also, which schools are you the most compatible for (gpa, in state etc.?

I think I should have a decent shot at VCU and EVMS since they're both in-state. My MCAT is a little low for UVA, but I'm definitely still going to apply. Other than those, my GPA is 90th+ percentile at just about every school; my MCAT is around the median for a lot of the mid-tier privates and around 10th percentile for the top-tier (e.g. Duke, Emory). So, we'll see--I was just looking for some feedback on my list.

Can anyone else offer some advice on my list? I probably shouldn't have posted this at midnight on a Monday.