Need help with solid reapplication plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralphwalDOemerson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks in advance for any input I receive! All are welcome and truly appreciated!

So I am just preparing for the possibility of reapplications if this cycle fails, which is probably a good thing to start thinking about.

Some info about myself:
-Asian, southern California resident
-graduated top 25 in 2014
-3 mcats, 493 (2015), 494 (2016) 500 (2017) [124c/p, 123 v/r, 126 b/b, 127 p/s]
-3.5 cum, 3.3 science.
-Lots of extracurriculars, 500+ research, 4000+ clinical (medical assistant, scribe), shadowing, serving underserved, work with Veterans, etc (I don't think my extracurriculars are a weakness)
-Old science LORS 2015, strong MD letters
-3rd cycle applying to med school, this one was my most serious one but I feel I failed it haha.

So based on this, I only applied to DOs (and not that many, like 9 total in July). Money is tight and I'm not feeling confident at this point I will get in anywhere. I feel I need to really buckle down and make some changes to my app in terms of numbers obviously.

1) I'm staring at my MCAT book, asking myself, shall I do this once more for the 4th and final time. Sadly, I was immature in my decision to take and score the MCAT the first few times. I didn't listen to logic, I did not practice enough. I had a full time job first two tests. The 500 I got was my best effort yet (I quit my job to work hard on it), but I still didn't take practice tests or really felt I pushed myself (I think I enjoyed the small feeling of freedom for a little bit and it probably affected my studies). I ask myself why, and really did some serious self reflection. I wish I could go back in time to tell myself to stop being stupid and really treat this test the way it should be treated. If I have gotten anything out of it, I have become more humble in the process, realizing I am not as bright as I thought I was when in college. I have reached the point where I can be honest with my study habits and abilities, and know that if I do it again, everything will change in terms of how I study. However, I just don't know if a 4th retake is really in the cards considering it looks horrible on my part if I don't make the improvement (although I feel strongly I can if I do things differently). I know some people get away with a 500, but I figure that's not really realistic for an applicant with my demographics.

2) I plan on taking at least 2 DIY post bacc classes. I feel part of my weakness is that I have been out of a scholarly environment for 4 years, and the fact that my LORS are just kinda old and do not suffice, thus knocking me out of competition for a lot of schools. So I am almost planning on taking 2 courses just for those LORS and slight GPA boost.

3) Maybe do a masters like USC Global in spring after I take the mcat. I figure take out loans and commute from home to save on cost on living. I want to do this possibly and get those LORS and immerse myself in a scholarly environment again. An expensive choice but I am interested in global medicine and I want to be back in an academic environment. I know a lot of you on here will turn me away from that, but I am open to all opinions.
Perhaps maybe the WesternU MSMS program, although that seems high risk without known linkage so I don't know if that would be wise, I don't know enough about the program to decide if that will be a good route in the end.

4) Shadow a DO and get a letter.

5) Per Diem scribing somewhere as I study for MCAT so that I'm not out of the healthcare field and can show recent activity at time of application. I quit my previous full time job on good terms just to allow to get my act together. It helped, but now I'm low on funds.

6) Continue my extracurricular activities for longevity (underserved activities as well as volunteer work with Veterans).

7) Apply to DO schools as soon as they open in May.

I feel grounded in what I need to work on if I start now. I think after hitting rock bottom, I now have clarity on what needs to be done. Technically I'm still in the game for this cycle, but I'm being realistic and prepared so I don't spiral into a depression and waste valuable time that can be used for improvements.

Please any honest advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't recommend we taking the MCAT anymore. You appear to have plateaued and I don't foresee any more Improvement.

Your plans so far are sound.

If you get no love this cycle I think and SMP is in order but only at a school that has linkage of some sort

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with not re-taking the MCAT.

Very real chance you study your @$$ off, spend a lot of time, and don't improve much/at all. You can spend that time for other things.
Apply early and broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend we taking the MCAT anymore. You appear to have plateaued and I don't foresee any more Improvement.

Your plans so far are sound.

If you get no love this cycle I think and SMP is in order but only at a school that has linkage of some sort

Very real chance you study your @$$ off, spend a lot of time, and don't improve much/at all. You can spend that time for other things.
Apply early and broadly.

I was thinking the same thing but needed to hear this advice from others, I truly appreciate your input! I agree with the fact that it’s a gamble with possibly a lot of wasted time studying for the MCAT again where I could put that time in elsewhere.

Apply early and broadly.
Do you think my stats would be competitive enough for DO schools if I work on other things and apply extremely early? Any other opinions on here would be helpful. My plan is to work my butt off on 2 DIY post bacc courses for the LORS and science GPA boost, as well as other things I've described, as well as shadow, healthcare work, maybe tutor kids (I love working with kids), and continue to volunteer where I've been volunteering. I just don't know if this will be enough to get me over that edge, I'm brainstorming on what more I could do.

Get a DO letter, apply more broadly than 9 schools. I know the money can suck but try to get it from somewhere

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think my stats would be competitive enough for DO schools if I work on other things and apply extremely early? Any other opinions on here would be helpful. My plan is to work my butt off on 2 DIY post bacc courses for the LORS and science GPA boost, as well as other things I've described, as well as shadow, healthcare work, maybe tutor kids (I love working with kids), and continue to volunteer where I've been volunteering. I just don't know if this will be enough to get me over that edge, I'm brainstorming on what more I could do.

Average GPA and MCAT Score for Every Medical School (Updated in 2018)

This says the MCAT won't break you. There are some with average scores in the low 500's, minimum's in 490's.

A low MCAT isn't necessarily a death sentence for a lot of DO programs. That said if I were you I'd probably apply early and apply to DO smps that have linkage to their med school. MD programs are out of reach with MCATs in that range. Getting a DO LOR will help you. Improving your GPA can't hurt either so I'd take those classes like you described. I think you have an outside shot at DO schools if you apply broadly. Check out the osteopathic underdawgs thread on here; a lot of people have stats similar to yours, you just need to be willing to go anywhere in the US, and possibly to a newer DO program.

If you're unable to get into a DO school or solid smp, I'd strongly consider podiatry too. Your scores are absolutely in line with a lot of pod programs, and it's a great medical career too. Good luck with whatever you decide!

These are DO schools where you could receive an interview with a MCAT of 500 so apply to all of them next cycle in June if you are not accepted this cycle:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
any new schools that open for 2020 (there will be several)

Thanks everyone for the sound advice! I appreciate you all putting in the time to help me out! I will work hard towards that goal with backup plans in case things don't work out as planned.

These are DO schools where you could receive an interview with a MCAT of 500 so apply to all of them next cycle in June if you are not accepted this cycle:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
BCOM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
any new schools that open for 2020 (there will be several)
Thank you so much for such a thorough list! I realized I should have applied to these schools, but unfortunately my LOR situation stopped me short, so I will address that issue next semester, and work hard toward meeting the requirements to apply broadly to these schools.

Your application strategy has been crap. You need to be applying to literally every DO school instead of just 9, especially when I suspect that the schools you applied to have higher stats.

Reactions: 3 users
Your application strategy has been crap. You need to be applying to literally every DO school instead of just 9, especially when I suspect that the schools you applied to have higher stats.
Agreed! I plan to do just that next cycle for sure.

SMP would show that you can handle medical school! DO shadowing/experience would help with DO acceptance!

I would apply post bac at a school with linkage like @Goro suggested. Work your tail off and get in. You have the benefit of experiencing essentially the 1st year of med school and can hit the ground running when you actually start med school classes. Good luck and best wishes

SMP would show that you can handle medical school! DO shadowing/experience would help with DO acceptance!
I would apply post bac at a school with linkage like @Goro suggested. Work your tail off and get in. You have the benefit of experiencing essentially the 1st year of med school and can hit the ground running when you actually start med school classes. Good luck and best wishes
Very true, I will have to think of an SMP as a viable option. Although it kills me to think about the costs but I know what has to be done has to be done if I want things to move forward in my career. I will work with my plan and consider the postbacc/SMP options while I apply early next cycle with improvements. I'll work my butt off to in the next few months leading up to the next cycle to make changes to my deficiencies (other than MCAT) and hope it works out with a more solid application and game plan, and I'll apply to DO's with SMP's next cycle. Now I gotta go find/make some $$$ for all of this. Thanks for the input!

Very true, I will have to think of an SMP as a viable option. Although it kills me to think about the costs but I know what has to be done has to be done if I want things to move forward in my career. I will work with my plan and consider the postbacc/SMP options while I apply early next cycle with improvements. I'll work my butt off to in the next few months leading up to the next cycle to make changes to my deficiencies (other than MCAT) and hope it works out with a more solid application and game plan, and I'll apply to DO's with SMP's next cycle. Now I gotta go find/make some $$$ for all of this. Thanks for the input!

Cost is definitely something to consider. I understand LECOM has low tuition and a Post Bac program. 1 post bac year and 4 years of med school there might be cheaper than 4 years at some other schools. LECOM catches a lot of criticism on SDN due to strict policies and dress code. Check it out and do the math. Good luck and best wishes!