Need help with study habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverLaur

MSN, RN, CNE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was the kid in high school who could take honors/AP classes, never crack open a book, and pull all A's and everyone "hated" me for it.

Then I got to high school and my first semester my grades were pretty bad. I pulled the typical "oh crap" when you realize that you actually have to study.

However, unlike most college kids, I never picked up the study hard/work hard and keep up the good grades. I can't study. I try, but I just end up distracted, bored, and doing other things.

I'm halfway through college and my grades still stink. I've also decided I don't like my major (accounting).

I've also decided I am going to complete a microbiology major in two years (possible, but challenging) and apply to medical school.

If i get mostly A's and a good MCAT score I'll have a shot (I have talked to multiple advisors, doctors, and premedical committees). What makes it depressing is that I know if I study half as much as the average college kid, I could pull it off. So why can't I study? I'm perfectly healthy (no ADD, ADHD, etc). I work hard at my internships/jobs and spend countless hours doing things on my computer.

So I am hoping that someone on here can give me some tips on how to study and why I've been having issues with it. I want to learn and I want to get A's and I go home every day with the intention of putting in a good night of studying, but the next thing I know it is midnight and I have not done a single productive thing.

Help :(

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya. I was just like you in high school and college. While I still struggle at times in med school, I've done a few things to change my ways.

1. Get rid of distractions.
Turn off the computers, tv, stereo, etc. These things were real time killers for me.

2. Change locations.
Not getting things done at home? Go to Starbucks or some other local establishment where you're out of your comfort zone, but can still get work done.

3. Work at different times of the day.
Can't study in the evening? Wake up earlier and see if you're more productive in the wee hours of the morning. I know I am. Or study in the afternoon in a place that provides a lot of sunlight.

4. Don't work when you're tired, hungry, upset, anxious etc.
Study when you have a clear head and a ready mind.

5. Above all, set realistic goals for yourself on when and how much you can study on any given day.
You don't need to go full tilt everyday, but have a study plan for the week that's flexible and try to stick to it.

You've probably heard all these things before, but these are the basic rules I abide by to keep myself in check. Best of luck.:luck:

I also had bad study habits in undergrad the first time around but this what I did to improve them:

1) Do as many practice questions as you can - it will help more actively learn the material

2) Review all required readings before and after class - You will be exposed to the material three times already.

3) Set up a schedule of what you need to get done in a day. When you have completed a certain amount of it, reward yourself (!) and then get back to work!

Good Luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Make study dates with someone else. This way you will have to go to the library and study.
I always got distracted on my own, but then my bf and I started a regular schedule of going to the library on Saturday until 5pm. Then we would go to our favorite pizza place afterwards. I got so much stuff done in one block of time! And the pizza was a good motivator :)
I think surrounding yourself with hard working people will make you hard working as well.

wow there really might be threads out there for everything already! thank you for all the help!