Need help with your personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JNew

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I did also. I barely had a first draft when the application cycle opened in June which was also crunch time studying for the DAT's. I used this editing service called Ivy Eyes editing service (http://www.ivyeyesediting.com/) who are a service who revise your writing (they don't write it for you from scratch). They transformed my personal statement (based on very long discussions with the editor/s on what I am truly trying to accomplish with my personal statement) from a mediocre not so well developed essay into a top notch well developed essay. I was overwhelmed by trying to convey what I bring to the table in 4500 characters but the editors helped me fit it all in there all while being eloquent as well. It does cost a little bit, but the amount of time and effort they put into help you make the money almost a joke. I highly recommend this for those who are having trouble putting together a well developed and well written personal statement as well as for those who would like their essays to contain a professional touch. Also, they give a free assessment of your first submission to tell you where they would like to take your writing. Again I highly recommend this service and have personally witnessed the dedication that they give to make their clients happy!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well this does sound very tempting...but it almost seems like it's cheating somehow. :scared:

I can only imagine what schools think of this...

Anyone else around that's used this?

imo, i feel like using these services will certainly erase your voice from this essay that is supposed to represent who you are. Dental admission committees aren't english teachers, they don't need to see a eloquent and perfectly well-written ps, but just an honest and heartfelt one.

to the op, im not saying yours isn't good and all, but I think it would just be better if you write it and revise it yourself that's all.

Maybe I was a little unclear about what they do. First of all I bet there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there that are using writing tutors/workshops and whatever other sources out there to help them produce the best personal statement possible. I would totally agree with someone who says it's cheating to have someone completely/pretty much write your ps for you. I put in many hours of work into this statement as well. All they really do is help you express what you want to say in the most concise but developed way possible. My ps totally represents exactly what I want to say and actually complements my application beautifully. Trust me, youre not getting anything out of this service if you don't put in a lot of work. In addition to the weeks that I put into the essay on my own, it took another two weeks to grind out a final draft with the help I was recieving. They are not a service that you pay to have them write a general essay with a cheesy story about why you want to become a dentist.
At the end of the day i'm not even actively promoting doing it this way, I just wanted to give people an option if they so seek it, to have help in producing a great personal statement. Let me be clear: I for sure am not getting a cut for writing this, I'm doing it as more of a gratitude to how they helped me. You want to be more holistic and do it completely on your own, I commend you. But for those who are struggling at least know that there are options out there for help!

My ps totally represents exactly what I want to say and actually complements my application beautifully.

Will you be using the "service" to convey "exactly what" you "want to say" to your future patients or will it be strictly extemporaneously?