Need Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tclhamot

Reaction score
(Hopefully I posted this under the right tag)

So I'm in a bit of rut here and I would love some advice from you guys! I'm a 4th year health sciences student at uOttawa who doesn't know what route to take after graduation to apply to medical school. Right now I'm sitting on a low cGPA and I'm planning to retake my MCAT in the upcoming summer- my last score was 500. I also feel like my ECs could use some work (not much commitment shown?).

GPA:

1st year = 3.08

2nd year = 3.83

3rd year = 3.52

4th year (not completed but a hopefully projection of 3.8-4.0)

cGPA = 3.48 (Projected 3.61 after fourth year)

My General ECS/ Hobbies from Gr.10 and on include:

- Playing piano and guitar/ running/ painting

- Baby sitting (4 years)

- Serving at a Retirement Home (1.5 years)

- Hospital Volunteer (playing piano and interacting with patients) (2 years)

- Volunteering running basketball games (3 months)

- Worked at a home improvement store (4 months)

- Museum Youth Council Member (8 months)

- Fundraising Assistant at the Canadian Cancer Society (4 months)

- Shadowed an ISU Doctor (12 hours)

- Leadership Committee at the Kidney Foundation (9 months - continuing)

- Facilitator/ Presenter for Students Offering Support (11 months- possibly continuing)

- Volunteer Research Assistant (10 months- continuing)

- TCPS 2: CORE Certification

- St. John Ambulance Leadership Certificate Level I

- AODA Certification

My plan is to ace my final year, possibly complete a fourth year research project (combined with possible research publications from my lab position), and definitely get some more shadowing experience. I was also thinking of getting a job/ internship during my last year either working in public health or for the government, starting a blog for students, and learning coding (HTML/JAVA/Python).

I strongly doubt that I am a competitive applicant right now (applying to canadian med schools) so I was planning to complete a master's degree to help my application but in a field where I could still get a fulfilling job if medical school doesn't pan out (ex: Medical biophysics, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine)

I would love any advice on what I should do or any master's degree with good career opportunities because I am feeling super demotivated and stressed! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.