Feb 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I applied this cycle to 8 schools and only had a chance to 2 of them. Got 1 interview that resulted in a waitlist.

MCAT-21O ------>I am going to take it again Mid june
I applied in Dec last cycle----->that didnt help me, I know
cgpa-3.5--->ok
sgpa-3.37----> can def do better

So i am going to apply apply again, only bad thing is that i had a horrible 1st semester, I took 18 credits of upper level bio and got a 2.5. this semester im taking 17 credits and i will have a 3.5 for this semester. All this brings my sGPA to a 3.2.

I am graduating in aug this year bc i have to take 1 summer class. If i take about 32 credits at a state university and get A's i would have a 3.5 sgpa. This is def possible, bc i will be at home and not depressed or distracted like i am at my private university.

So would it benefit me to take 1 year to bring my gpa up and then reapply. ie taking 2 years off.
OR
Should I go ahead and reapply this june with the same app from last year (with minor changes to PS) and a 30 MCAT (just an average of practices)
btw im only 20, so i have enough time.

My thoughts are that: for me to get an interview, then other parts of my app like LOR'S and EC'S are fine. Im getting 31+ on the practice exams now so maybe I will get more acceptances if I apply early and broadly. DO doesnt interest me at all. Its just not for me

MiniMoo

5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2010
California
Status
Medical Student
So would it benefit me to take 1 year to bring my gpa up and then reapply. ie taking 2 years off.

OR

Should I go ahead and reapply this june with the same app from last year (with minor changes to PS) and a 30 MCAT (just an average of practices)
btw im only 20, so i have enough time.
I would recommend taking that extra year to bring your GPA up. A 3.5 is still on the lower end, but much more acceptable than where your GPA stands now. Prepare, prepare, prepare for the MCAT. Since your GPA isn't optimal, you really need a kick butt MCAT. Assuming you're able to hit a 30, with your stats, you really should be applying broadly and to way more than 8 schools. If you still score in the low/mid-20's, then I would seriously consider DO instead.

However, more importantly, I think you should address any issues you may have with depression now. Given how competitive admissions into medical school is, you may not have the luxury of attending med school near home. And many individuals who are not prone to depression get depressed in med school just because it is so stressful and demanding. Will you be able to handle it?

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I agree with minimoo.
Med school is super stressful.
You're only 20. You deserve to enjoy life and live a little. Don't take 18 credits at a time. Take 14 or something, study well and do some extracurricular stuff. Don't reapply to med school right away. Study for the MCAT more, stay in college another year, or another semester, and take some classes that are actually fun, or if you graduate go get some little job that still lets you have time to study for the MCAT and hang out with friends. You have plenty of time, but you can't afford to let your GPA drop or get another bad MCAT score. A lot of med schools prefer an applicant a bit older than 20, as well. They don't want to see you flame out/burn out at an early age.

Feb 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the advice!
I have always wanted to move out to Cali, so maybe this is the time to do it. I think 2 years off is what im going to do.
Maybe 2 semesters of upper level bio and then a year of a Masters in cali.

THANKS ALOT