Need honest opinion: my chances of...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...entry into Goucher or Drexel's post-bac pre-med program. Vital stats:

Undergrad GPA: 2.82/BA, History, 1989, private college
Grad GPA: 3.73/MS, Information Systems, 1996, private college
Sought-after entry year: 2005

Of 2 recommendations, one is from an MD/PhD, the other is not from anyone in the medical field.

Thoughts? Be honest, now, I can take it, no matter how much it may hurt. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

For real your situation and mine are similar. I am really curious about how they will evaluate 2 completely separate careers as a student. Your 2nd clearly kicks ass but I'm not sure if you'll get the vote of confidence you need to prove science aptitude at this point even though arguably computer science may be more difficult than pre-med stuff. If you haven't completed the pre-reqs and you got the ability to move and go to school full-time without a job....then I think you should go for one of the name brand post-bac programs with the linkage connections. I'm not sure about specifics b/cause I'm a degree seeking student but I've heard mention of Programs in NYC--hunter, columbia--In boston--Havard Extension--University of Connecticut--uhhh...Bryn Mayer or something like that....Drexel has a program...Mills college in Oakland, Ca...so there out there. Research on this board should serve you well.

On the other hand if you have completed your pre-reqs then go straight for an SMP without delay.
Just my thoughts...Keep us posted on how you do....I could learn some things from your journey. --Ben.

benelswick said:
For real your situation and mine are similar. I am really curious about how they will evaluate 2 completely separate careers as a student. Your 2nd clearly kicks ass but I'm not sure if you'll get the vote of confidence you need to prove science aptitude at this point even though arguably computer science may be more difficult than pre-med stuff. If you haven't completed the pre-reqs and you got the ability to move and go to school full-time without a job....then I think you should go for one of the name brand post-bac programs with the linkage connections. I'm not sure about specifics b/cause I'm a degree seeking student but I've heard mention of Programs in NYC--hunter, columbia--In boston--Havard Extension--University of Connecticut--uhhh...Bryn Mayer or something like that....Drexel has a program...Mills college in Oakland, Ca...so there out there. Research on this board should serve you well.

On the other hand if you have completed your pre-reqs then go straight for an SMP without delay.
Just my thoughts...Keep us posted on how you do....I could learn some things from your journey. --Ben.

Misery loves company. :) Well the grad GPA is not as big a deal as you may think. Grad programs generally grade more easily then undergrad programs because, basically, there are fewer grad students and they are more likely to raise the roof when given a lousy grade than are undergrads. Also, as grad schools are competing more for students than undergrad programs (though this could change real soon if demographics keep going the way they are), they are more likely to be "customer-pleasing" in their attitudes. In short, a 3.7x in grad school is not the same as a 3.7x in undergrad. It's all about money and politics and everyone knows it.

Members don't see this ad :)
benelswick said:
then I think you should go for one of the name brand post-bac programs with the linkage connections. I'm not sure about specifics b/cause I'm a degree seeking student but I've heard mention of Programs in NYC--hunter, columbia--In boston--Havard Extension--University of Connecticut--uhhh...Bryn Mayer or something like that....Drexel has a program...Mills college in Oakland, Ca....

linkage means an affiliated med school spot waiting, provided you get the grades, after undergrad/postbacc?

thats not a guarantee at HES if I understand correctly

however, it is comforting to hear im not the oldest guy trying become a doc, reminds me of the foundation trilogy, when the protag discovered he couldnt learn any new technologies because his mind was filled with what was by now merely historical curiosities

Got the Goucher letter today. Goucher said no, but Drexel yes. So it is just a question of when, June or in the Fall? Take heart, there's hope yet! :)

benelswick said: