PhD/PsyD Need input re: asking for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xyzpsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like your insight. I'm applying this year for fall 2017 admission. I would like to ask for LOR from a professor with whom I'm conducting research. He is the PI of the project and I'm Co-PI. However I assume I'll be first author of the article if it gets published. Because I live far away from him, our communication is via email and mostly relayed by one of his assistants. Therefore he probably won't think that he knows me well as a person, but he knows my research interests, my work ethics, etc.

The tricky part is that he is one of the professors that I'm applying to work with. We actually met the first time when I applied to PhD programs, which had unsuccessful results. We met when I went on campus for interview. Later I decided to do a project with him to increase my research experience.

I was wondering your thoughts on me asking for a LOR from him? I'm not too worried about him not knowing me well enough in person because I assume he'll just reject my request in this case. My concern is this would come across as inappropriate request because he would know the other programs that I'm applying to (although I'm applying to professors all with similar interests). He is a rising researcher with growing reputation so I would like to give it a try. Could someone share your thoughts?

PS, I did my master's in the US but I'm from another country. So less familiar about certain cultures and unspoken rules in American academia! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you believe that he knows your work well and will have positive things to say about you, then I think it is appropriate to ask him for a reference. I would recommend finding someone else who knows you very well personally though to supplement the fact that this LOR does not know you well (I'm assuming you would need 3 letters of reference). I wouldn't be concerned about the fact that you are applying to work with him, but I'm sure you know that he cannot be one of your LORs for your application with him.
I highly recommend meeting him in person and ask specifically for a strong, positive letter.
Also I would seek advice from someone you trust who works in the field you are applying into (e.g., clinical, social, etc.).

I hope this helps and good luck!