Need Interviewer's Perspective: How much to smile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
say a lot of the stuff talked about in an interview are on the serious side. how do you - the interviewer - suggest applicants work in smiling?

obviously, i don't want to smile while talking about serious topics, but i'm just wondering how I can manage to convey a positive upbeat impression if most of the stuff is serious in nature, which i guess is understandable given that medicine deals with health issues and life and death

Members don't see this ad.

say a lot of the stuff talked about in an interview are on the serious side. how do you - the interviewer - suggest applicants work in smiling?

obviously, i don't want to smile while talking about serious topics, but i'm just wondering how I can manage to convey a positive upbeat impression if most of the stuff is serious in nature, which i guess is understandable given that medicine deals with health issues and life and death
Smile if the topic allows for it, but you should not be smiling when talking about something somber. Applicants have been quickly rejected for this lack of social awareness. Like in life, it's okay to not always be happy and upbeat. Striking a balance is key. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 3 users
How often do you smile in normal conversation? Just act normal

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be yourself. Try to connect with the interviewer, be genuine and positive where appropriate. Relax and dont overthink the smiling stuff. You will be fine. Interviewers are more concerned with how genuine your responses are as opposed to being right or wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
tenor.gif

Be yourself. You're not doing yourself any favors by faking your way into a school you might not be a good fit for.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't stop smiling. The second you show any type of facial expression other than a smile, you're immediately seen as lacking in empathy and interpersonal skills.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
This guy just got into Hopkins

Attachments

• 018022DD-FAD5-43B3-9291-4E156F2F94D0.jpeg
    018022DD-FAD5-43B3-9291-4E156F2F94D0.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I generally recommend wearing whatever facial expression comes naturally to you. However, there are exceptions to this rule. If your facial expressions deviate widely from the norm (e.g., you are always perceived as sad even when you are elated), I would pay attention to this issue. To understand whether you fall into the second category, I would film practice interviews and watch them with your kitchen cabinet. If the consensus is that you are generally fine, I would not give this issue another thought. In fact, if you are anywhere near the norm, having your facial expressions front of mind during an interview may hinder your performance than help it. If you do need work in this area, I would keep it simple and have one or two pointers in mind (e.g., sit up straight and smile when speaking unless the topic is a sad/unpleasant one).

Reactions: 1 user
If you look like a Stepford Wife, you are probably smiling too much. Just be your normal self with an overlay of professionalism and pleasantry. You do not need to be a bright, shining ray of light that has no emotion other than ridiculously positive. That can be just as off-putting as someone who is a wet blanket.

Reactions: 1 users
"Tell me about your most challenging life experience"

"Well, after watching a schoolbus roll over on the highway" with this look on your face = autoaccept

bsmile.jpg

"Tell me about your most challenging life experience"

"Well, after watching a schoolbus roll over on the highway" with this look on your face = autoaccept

View attachment 292577

Then the interviewer will wonder if you caused the rollover... and enjoyed it :whistle:

Reactions: 1 user
“And that was how I decided to pursue medicine”

Attachments

• F9EF96F3-FC03-489B-9F2F-B1CEA21BE8BD.jpeg
    F9EF96F3-FC03-489B-9F2F-B1CEA21BE8BD.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 34
Hahaha these pics!!
Smile naturally and comfortably, how you would a normal conversation! no need to calculate where to smile! someone else said zuckerberg here - we don't want that.