Need lots of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rajmahal1980

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I just found this forum and its helped me a ton already. I do need a lot more advice though. Here's a little about me first:

I graduated from UC San Diego a few years ago and worked in finance for a bit before I decided to go to dental school. I have a double major in Management Science (BS) and Biological Anthropology (BA). I know its a very strange combination of majors (I studied anthro more out of personal interest) but I actually believe both degrees will give me an advantage over other candidates. Dentistry to me is far more than just a scientific profession, you need good business skills if you are going to run your own practice, so I believe dental schools will like my background in finance. Also, in Bio-anthro there is more of a focus on human biology and also social relations, two areas that are important in dentistry as well.

I do however, have one huge concern. Becuase I did about 240 units in 4 years my GPA was 2.9. At first I wasn't worried because I am a good test taker so I figure I could just ace the DAT. I'll be taking the test soon and I'm getting a bit nervous becuase I'm not doing as well as planned. I was hoping to get a 23 or 24 overall on both AA and PAT. I took the Kaplan course and on the final I got 19AA, 20 PAT. I have a friend at UOP who said he got the same and then got a 23AA, 23 PAT on the actual test. So I really wasn't worried until I started reading this forum. Anyone have any idea what I should expect to score? Can my PAT score actually go up?

Also, I should point out that I have not formally taken O-chem. I will be doing so this summer, but I did buy a book and attended a few lectures. Can anyone give me a better scope of the 0-chem part? I have everything down from the first two quarters but have no clue on stuff like carbohydrates and amino acids. How many questions have you guys seen on this stuff?

Also, finally what do you think my chances are of getting into schools like UOP and USC with my credentials:
2.9 GPA - double major
work experience in finance
hopefully a 23AA, 23 PAT (maybe 24 🙂 ) on DAT

I really want to go to UOP for many reasons. I've heard if you do really well on the DAT they won't mind your GPA. Any truth to this?
Thanks!
 
Hello Raj,

Orgo is not a hard subject if you understand the concept.
I tutor orgo in my college.
The only problem I had with orgo was finding the NMR pick
on the lab.

Go to Under the 3.0 forum

rajmahal2004 said:
Hey,
I just found this forum and its helped me a ton already. I do need a lot more advice though. Here's a little about me first:

I graduated from UC San Diego a few years ago and worked in finance for a bit before I decided to go to dental school. I have a double major in Management Science (BS) and Biological Anthropology (BA). I know its a very strange combination of majors (I studied anthro more out of personal interest) but I actually believe both degrees will give me an advantage over other candidates. Dentistry to me is far more than just a scientific profession, you need good business skills if you are going to run your own practice, so I believe dental schools will like my background in finance. Also, in Bio-anthro there is more of a focus on human biology and also social relations, two areas that are important in dentistry as well.

I do however, have one huge concern. Becuase I did about 240 units in 4 years my GPA was 2.9. At first I wasn't worried because I am a good test taker so I figure I could just ace the DAT. I'll be taking the test soon and I'm getting a bit nervous becuase I'm not doing as well as planned. I was hoping to get a 23 or 24 overall on both AA and PAT. I took the Kaplan course and on the final I got 19AA, 20 PAT. I have a friend at UOP who said he got the same and then got a 23AA, 23 PAT on the actual test. So I really wasn't worried until I started reading this forum. Anyone have any idea what I should expect to score? Can my PAT score actually go up?

Also, I should point out that I have not formally taken O-chem. I will be doing so this summer, but I did buy a book and attended a few lectures. Can anyone give me a better scope of the 0-chem part? I have everything down from the first two quarters but have no clue on stuff like carbohydrates and amino acids. How many questions have you guys seen on this stuff?

Also, finally what do you think my chances are of getting into schools like UOP and USC with my credentials:
2.9 GPA - double major
work experience in finance
hopefully a 23AA, 23 PAT (maybe 24 🙂 ) on DAT

I really want to go to UOP for many reasons. I've heard if you do really well on the DAT they won't mind your GPA. Any truth to this?
Thanks!