Need major Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Im new to the forum and need some advice. Im a Canadian applicant that lived in the US for a while. My gpa will be around ~3.0 (I believe states looks at all classes taken this includes summer classes?).*screwed up just my first year because of personal reasons - but because i took sci courses in that year my sgpa is much lower (is this only first year or prereq sci courses or ALL sci courses taken i tried searching this but didnt know what bcpm was??). Unfortunately these courses are few C's and D's, do i NEED to retake them for reasons other than raise the gpa, can I not and make up for it in other ways? Is there any forgiveness if just one year is poor and there is an upward trend? Will the difficulty of my university and program be taken into account? Can I get in somewhere next year if I have a good MCAT around 33, a great essay, early app and decent volunteering plus a chance to explain my circumstances as a CANADIAN? Which schools can I apply to? Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not by any means a Canadian expert--but I'd say the outlook is dim. Science GPA is all biology, chemistry, physics, and math classes ever taken. Cumulative GPA is every college course ever taken. IMO, your MCAT doesn't matter, I think you'd be screened out even as a US applicant if you're hanging around 3.0. The only remedies are retaking Cs and Ds (DO schools here will allow grade replacement), and/or doing post-bacc courses, and/or a formal SMP program. At least this is the advice I'd give for a US citizen.

Your odds in the US are dismal. Even with an MCAT of 43, you will not get an acceptance with such a poor science GPA. There are too many near-perfect international applicants competing for a few available spots.

You can read about SMPs (Special Masters Programs) in the SDN Postbaccalaureate Forum.

If you don't know much about DO med schools, look in the PreMed Osteopathic Forum for more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys
Im new to the forum and need some advice. Im a Canadian applicant that lived in the US for a while. My gpa will be around ~3.0 (I believe states looks at all classes taken this includes summer classes?).*screwed up just my first year because of personal reasons - but because i took sci courses in that year my sgpa is much lower (is this only first year or prereq sci courses or ALL sci courses taken i tried searching this but didnt know what bcpm was??). Unfortunately these courses are few C's and D's, do i NEED to retake them for reasons other than raise the gpa, can I not and make up for it in other ways? Is there any forgiveness if just one year is poor and there is an upward trend? Will the difficulty of my university and program be taken into account? Can I get in somewhere next year if I have a good MCAT around 33, a great essay, early app and decent volunteering plus a chance to explain my circumstances as a CANADIAN? Which schools can I apply to? Any advice??

Even as a URM you are going to have trouble getting in.

AMCAS doesnt look at retaked courses, that is totally different say if you are at York, where they do grade replacements...

3.0 is way too low, I wouldnt want to forgive someone for trying to make up for it with "other ways" anyway.

May I know what is your almighty university? Even if it was H******, I wouldnt think too highly of their 3.0 students.

33 MCAT is NOT good. You have terribly low standards. 3.0 33??? Are you kidding yourself? Which province are you from? Surely not Ontario because you would have learnt that without a 3.9 you are not smelling an acceptance anywhere.

Decent volunteering?
So what on earth are you suggesting is making up that 3.0 anyway? (I guess your supposedly great essay! :p)

You can always explain your circumstances though.

I suggest Carribeans. With the 33, you will get in!