WAMC: ORM, cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.5, chem major, rural area , 499 MCAT with june 24 score otw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovemydog

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Due to an unfortunate transcript issue, AMCAS received my transcript yesterday (...via mail) and so hopefully they'll start verifying me soon. I know it's late and with my mcat i'm worried. I got a 499 on the May 26 (124/126/124/125), but studied alot more esp psych and retook June 24, scores coming July 25. I am applying to like 25 DO schools and 37 MD schools. My FL average from retake was 504 so I'm hoping for improvement. I am from a very rural area of southeast Michigan. I really want to go to Oakland Beaumont, and I pass their initial mcat screen, but will my primary get to them too late and will my mcat be too bad? I also really want Wayne State, my dad went there for undergrad and has only great things to say about it.
My friend said I shouldn't bother applying MD because of my stats but I put all that work into my primaries but I just applied because you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, even if I don't have alot of hope atm. please give advice if you have any!

stuff -
~2000 research hours, two pubs through Umich
~taught my own section of organic chem lab three semesters, 300 hours
~100 shadowing hours
~volunteered at veteran rehab facility 80 hours
~2000 miscellaneous church volunteer hours, mostly food distributions and children's ministry
~60 hours NICU volunteering, 150 on the way
~on july 17 starting a job as a full-time as a patient monitor person at small hospital
~working towards pilot license and loves music/singing (hobbies)
~desk job for my college's campus gym

also - i listed myself on this post as ORM (but I'm a white girl, so idk if that counts. I didn't know what else to list myself as).

Members don't see this ad.

DO is possible, more with the newer ones

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't think MD?
that will depend on your MCAT retake score, but there are very few MD schools that would accept someone with a 499 score.
in-state for you, Michigan State and CMU have their 10th %tile MCAT at 502 so might consider you.
You could try all the Michigan schools except U Michigan whose MCAT average is 518.

Last edited:
I am applying to like 25 DO schools and 37 MD schools.
Please don't apply to all those MD schools. With so few hours of clinical experience, I am afraid only some of the Michigan MD schools would be worth an app depending on the retake. If you are in a rural area, you should probably include CMU.

Reactions: 1 user
Which DO schools did you apply to ?
AT Still
ACOM
Campbell
DMU
all the Edward Via
LUCOM
Lincoln Memorial
Marian
ICOM
Kansas City
Kansas College
MSU
William Carey
PCOM and PCOM GA
Rocky Vista
U of Pikeville Kentucky
Montana
West Virginia
OSU
New England
NYITCOM

I'm kind of worried about some of these, i've heard about bad match/complex rates, strict dress codes, haven't graduated a class yet, etc

that will depend on your MCAT retake score, but there are very few MD schools that would accept someone with a 499 score.
in-state for you, Michigan State and CMU have their 10th %tile MCAT at 502 so might consider you.
You could try all the Michigan schools except U Michigan whose MCAT average is 518.
so maybe a chance as MSU and CMU? if my retake is higher, I don't know if i have a chance with 499?

I know umich will look at me and laugh so their school is not an option lol

AT Still
ACOM
Campbell
DMU
all the Edward Via
LUCOM
Lincoln Memorial
Marian
ICOM
Kansas City
Kansas College
MSU
William Carey
PCOM and PCOM GA
Rocky Vista
U of Pikeville Kentucky
Montana
West Virginia
OSU
New England
NYITCOM

I'm kind of worried about some of these, i've heard about bad match/complex rates, strict dress codes, haven't graduated a class yet, etc
You could add these schools:
LECOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
If you increase your MCAT to 505 you could receive interviews at Central Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State and Oakland Beaumont.

You could add these schools:
LECOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
If you increase your MCAT to 505 you could receive interviews at Central Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State and Oakland Beaumont.
Idk if it'll be a 505 since I already took the exam, but I really hope so, thank you for the encouragement💙
What do you think about Loma Linda? the lowest mcat they took OOS last year was a 500 and I am a Christian so idk if they would be willing to give me an interview?

Idk if it'll be a 505 since I already took the exam, but I really hope so, thank you for the encouragement💙
What do you think about Loma Linda? the lowest mcat they took OOS last year was a 500 and I am a Christian so idk if they would be willing to give me an interview?
Yes, apply to Loma Linda.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I'm kind of worried about some of these, i've heard about bad match/complex rates, strict dress codes, haven't graduated a class yet, etc"

totally legit concerns but unless your mcat retake is significantly higher, you can't be too picky. an acceptance at one of such schools though is still better than no acceptance and better than going big 4 carib

"I'm kind of worried about some of these, i've heard about bad match/complex rates, strict dress codes, haven't graduated a class yet, etc"

totally legit concerns but unless your mcat retake is significantly higher, you can't be too picky. an acceptance at one of such schools though is still better than no acceptance and better than going big 4 carib
You are 100% right, beggars can't be choosers

could add Noorda-COM also

update, 503 127/125/124/127
You could apply to these MD schools with your new MCAT of 503:
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Michigan State
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
Loma Linda

Reactions: 1 users
You could apply to these MD schools with your new MCAT of 503:
Central Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Michigan State
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
Loma Linda
what about Western Michigan, NEOMED, Indiana, South Carolina Greenville/Columbia, Wright State, Medical university of SC? Thank you for all the help!

what about Western Michigan, NEOMED, Indiana, South Carolina Greenville/Columbia, Wright State, Medical university of SC? Thank you for all the help!
Your MCAT of 509 is far below the 10th percentile for Western Michigan (only 3 Michigan residents with 509 or lower) and the other schools are state public that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 503.

Your MCAT of 509 is far below the 10th percentile for Western Michigan (only 3 Michigan residents with 509 or lower) and the other schools are state public that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 503.
Oh I see. Okay thank you!