1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need nsight/advice- Non traditional Applicant applying to both TX schools and others

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by lovetractor, Mar 26, 2004.

1. lovetractor

lovetractor Junior Member

Hi Everyone- been reading a bunch of great stories and insight from everyone, I was hoping I could get help with my specific situation.

I am a TX resident via New Hampshire and now that my wife has finished MSW school I can now concentrate on my lifelong dream of becoming a dentist!

My stats are as follows:
    Undergrad GPA (BS Chemical Engineering): 3.22 (Earned in the Honors Program at my alma mater)
    Science GPA: 3.23 (dragged down due to ridiculously hard engineering courses, mostly B's and B+'s, no C's)
    BCP GPA: 3.43
    Graduate (MBA) GPA: 3.65

Reading everyone's insights into the TX schools, it would appear that my stats are low and it would be unlikely that I would gain admission.

My questions:
    1) Does my Chem Eng degree receive special consideration versus a "less demanding" degree? How about the fact that I was in the Honors Program (accelerated, more challenging coursework)?
    2) How does my Graduate GPA get factored in? Into overall GPA calculation or does it replace my non-science coursework?
    3) Any advice on applying to the TX schools? I am 30 years old and therefore a "non-traditional" applicant, but I have an interesting story to tell and a lot of business/industry experience to add to the class.
    4) Finally, what do you think my overall chances are for getting into the TX schools? I am also applying to Tufts, BU, and Case.

Thanks for the help,
    lovetractor (an obscure reference to an Athens, GA band for those in my age group)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. atlas6

atlas6 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi i am also a non traditional application from tx...i was a very average applicant. BS in biochem, MS in immunology.....i did a little above average on the DAT.........i think if you present yourself well and do really well on the DAT you should have no problems.
    also you should apply as early as possible....you know tx has there own application system? texas medical and dental school applications begin may 1st

4. lovetractor

Hi atlus6......did you get in at all three TX schools? If so which one did you decide to attend?

5. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I will only speak for the Texas schools, but...

1) Your degree is not as important as DAT, GPA, Interview(probably in that order). I was a poli sci major(easy as hell) and got accepted to all three Texas schools.

2)I would call the schools about the second question. They will like the fact that you've done graduate work.

3)My advice is APPLY EARLY and don't wait too long to take your DAT. When the application comes out, fill it out, even if you haven't taken your DAT yet. Then take your DAT BEFORE August(preferably beginning of July at least). Also, my buddy is 30 years old and he is going to Baylor with me. Your age is not going to be huge factor.

4) Until you take the DAT, it's impossible to say, but you want to shoot for a 19-20, then you will have very good chances.

6. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I will only speak for the Texas schools, but...

1) Your degree is not as important as DAT, GPA, Interview(probably in that order). I was a poli sci major(easy as hell) and got accepted to all three Texas schools.

2)I would call the schools about the second question. They will like the fact that you've done graduate work.

3)My advice is APPLY EARLY and don't wait too long to take your DAT. When the application comes out, fill it out, even if you haven't taken your DAT yet. Then take your DAT BEFORE August(preferably beginning of July at least). Also, my buddy is 30 years old and he is going to Baylor with me. Your age is not going to be huge factor.

4) Until you take the DAT, it's impossible to say, but you want to shoot for a 19-20, then you will have very good chances.

7. lovetractor

Thanks Calc1.....actually Baylor is my first choice due to the fact that we own a house in Plano. Do you think I would benefit by calling Baylor's admissions office re: my questions? I know that they sometimes get testy when applicants call.....

8. atlas6

atlas6 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i actually only got into one school..i interviewed at baylor and houston...i will be goin to houston. i think the fact that i had done research and participated in a lot of community service activities helped me alot becuz i only got an 18 on the dat and my gpa is only a 3.0 both from undergrad and grad.
    i think if you can get a 20 on the DAT then you will probably get into all 3 schools

9. atlas6

atlas6 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

also your graduate gpa is not calculated into your final gpa so they only use your undergrad gpa

10. Tabstar

Tabstar Member
    10+ Year Member

I also have numerous years of industry experience and volunteer quite a bit in Houston with dentists and other events to serve the underserved communities. Well my main dream is to be able to continue to help those people who lack health insurance. I think that it is sad that we live in a first world country but something as essential as medical and dental care is only available to the corporate class/wealthy. There are a lot of people that work but never get offered insurance benefits. That is soooo sad. The next best thing I think is to support services like Mission of Mercy and the upcoming Centennial Smiles program (April 3) in Houston to be able to help people who really DO need it.

Does your post bac gpa get calculated into your total gpa. I am planning to finish a second baccalaureate degree in Med Tech. I also did engineering and yes that does kill the GPA. I currently have a 3.0 overall. I hope that I still get in when I apply. Any advice?
    Thanks