Need one more year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loli1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am psych major with average GPA 3.5 I decided late I wanted to go to med school (six months before graduation) I have done bio 1 and 2 and chem 1 and 2 with labs all As . Right now I am taking orgo 1 phy 1 and genetics with labs. I don't have much EC I was founder and vice-president of the international students association for a year and a half in my cc, I have done about 40 hours of volunteering, I am a member of an honor psychology association psy chi and I am about to start a research (case study) based on autistic children.I have no letters of recommendation for now so I need to start asking for those. So I have two options which do you believe its better? or what would you do?
option 1[/B]
fall
keep on doing voluntering
finish orgo 1 phy 1 and genetics
keep on doing the research
winter
keep on doing the research although it wont be finished by the time I apply to med school (and it is sord of a small reserch)
Take phi 2 and orgo 2
study for the mcat and present it in april
summer
shadow a physician
take biochemistry and its lab
apply to med school at the end of July.

option 2
Fall 2012
the same as in the first option
plus try to get a different and more complete reaserch
winter 2013
phy 2
orgo 2
calc
keep on doing volunteering and research
shadow
summer 2013
Internship in a prestigious genetics lab
Fall 2013
biochemistry
study for mcat to take it in December
winter 2014
trip abroad to empower girls in orphanage in india
Apply to med school in june

Oh I forgot to say that I am Colombian and that I lived there until I was 18 so I guess I am underrepresented in medicine. Thank you in advance for the advice! I really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am psych major with average GPA 3.5 I decided late I wanted to go to med school (six months before graduation) I have done bio 1 and 2 and chem 1 and 2 with labs all As . Right now I am taking orgo 1 phy 1 and genetics with labs. I don't have much EC I was founder and vice-president of the international students association for a year and a half in my cc, I have done about 40 hours of volunteering, I am a member of an honor psychology association psy chi and I am about to start a research (case study) based on autistic children.I have no letters of recommendation for now so I need to start asking for those. So I have two options which do you believe its better? or what would you do?
option 1[/B]
fall
keep on doing voluntering
finish orgo 1 phy 1 and genetics
keep on doing the research
winter
keep on doing the research although it wont be finished by the time I apply to med school (and it is sord of a small reserch)
Take phi 2 and orgo 2
study for the mcat and present it in april
summer
shadow a physician
take biochemistry and its lab
apply to med school at the end of July.

option 2
Fall 2012
the same as in the first option
plus try to get a different and more complete reaserch
winter 2013
phy 2
orgo 2
calc
keep on doing volunteering and research
shadow
summer 2013
Internship in a prestigious genetics lab
Fall 2013
biochemistry
study for mcat to take it in December
winter 2014
trip abroad to empower girls in orphanage in india
Apply to med school in june

Oh I forgot to say that I am Colombian and that I lived there until I was 18 so I guess I am underrepresented in medicine. Thank you in advance for the advice! I really appreciate it :)

In general, if your application is going to be much stronger in a year, it probably pays to wait the extra year. This isn't a race, and you can set yourself up for success or failure based on whether you try to rush things. The average age in allo med school is 24+ for a reason. Sure, you might get into "a" med school without spending the year, but certainly would have more options if you had stronger ECs, etc.