need opinion/ advise / help on how to improve my C.V.

Started by NGiorgi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NGiorgi

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello,
I am a IMG from Argentina (University of Buenos Aires), I graduated a couple of years ago and decided this year to give my equivalency tests.
I have already done and passed my EE and plan to give my QE1 in November. Following will be a short summary of what I have on my C.V. Concidering I pass my QE1 (hey, one can dream 😀), I'd like to know what I could do to improve my C.V. and increase my chances at a match.
(match being only once a year in Canada, I really do not want to be stuck out of the loop for a whole year.)


I am a Canadian citizen since 1985, travelled to Argentina in 1995 (I was 16) with my parents (they are argentinian and were feeling nostalgic).
I studied in a bilingual school in montreal (predominantly french though), before traveling to Buenos aires.

I obtained my diplomat in 2004, did not do a residency there, came directly here and got into a M.Sc. in Pathology and Cell Biology at the University of Montreal. I am now currently doing a PhD in Anatomy and Cell Biology at McGill university.
I've done a couple of electives in Buenos aires. I have also done some volunteer work (working as a trainee in a Molecular Biology lab at McGill) and I've also worked here in Montreal (as a research asistant both at University of Montreal and McGill.) I have a couple of poster and oral presentions from my research (although not much, around 6 in total.)

My letters of recomendation are from physicians practicing in Buenos Aires; and I have another LoR from my father (also an M.D. but practicing in Montreal), explaining my situation as a person in general, as a Canadian and as a Doctor, although not evaluating me as a doctor in my duties, for obvious reasons. (I truly do not know if this letter would actually do any good though.)
I speak both french and english fluently (and spanish, although doubt would make a difference.)

Next match iteration I would like to apply to both rehabilitation medicine or family medicine (since both may lead to sports medicine, atleast as far as I understand.)

So the question that still lingers... (and I guess everyone here has the same doubt/fears, etc...) Is this a "good" or acceptable C.V. ? How may I increase the "score" given to it ?
although (to my understanding atleast) the biggest part of a university's decision to accept you to an interview and later on a residency program, is you QE1 grade, how much can the C.V. account for ?
Are there ways to get a residency spot outside of the match ? (getting in outside of the match timeline)
Can one match with EE only or is that unrealistic ?

thank you very much to any and all who may know or even just have an opinion about any of this.

Nick
 
Last edited: