NEED OPINIONS ON APPLYING PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so basically i need to know if its worth applying now or not to st. george for august. i have a degree in bio but my grades were all over the place. for that reason i went on to do a second undergrad in kine and my grades thus far are straight As. my mcat is a 492 (i know its low) but i have one heck of a resume (8 years of working in research at a well respected hospital, 2 publishings, the editor of 2 medical books, a summer working in cardiac rehab, founded my own food drives, philanthropy chair for my sorority, volunteered to teach exercise for a year to low income individuals with physical disabilities, taught computer literacy in kenya, volunteered in er and day surgery, etc) and reference letters and my current 2nd degree gpa is a 3.9 according to the AAMC. I was just wondering if its worth applying or if i dont have a shot given my mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so basically i need to know if its worth applying now or not to st. george for august. i have a degree in bio but my grades were all over the place. for that reason i went on to do a second undergrad in kine and my grades thus far are straight As. my mcat is a 492 (i know its low) but i have one heck of a resume (8 years of working in research at a well respected hospital, 2 publishings, the editor of 2 medical books, a summer working in cardiac rehab, founded my own food drives, philanthropy chair for my sorority, volunteered to teach exercise for a year to low income individuals with physical disabilities, taught computer literacy in kenya, volunteered in er and day surgery, etc) and reference letters and my current 2nd degree gpa is a 3.9 according to the AAMC. I was just wondering if its worth applying or if i dont have a shot given my mcat?
you should not go to the caribbean. Someone with low test scores is a prime target for failing out down there and leaving with hundreds of thousands in debt and no degree or no residency

what is your total gpa...all included?

Reactions: 1 users
you should not go to the caribbean. Someone with low test scores is a prime target for failing out down there and leaving with hundreds of thousands in debt and no degree or no residency

what is your total gpa...all included?

that i don't know cuz i graduated like 3 years ago. and honestly, i am well aware that i will have to work harder than most to achieve the grades. i am a crazy determined student.

Members don't see this ad :)
that i don't know cuz i graduated like 3 years ago. and honestly, i am well aware that i will have to work harder than most to achieve the grades. i am a crazy determined student.
then be crazy determined to get an acceptance in the US
be crazy determined to actually calculate your gpa and get back to us so we can advise you better

Reactions: 3 users
be crazy determined to actually calculate your gpa and get back to us so we can advise you better
im canadian btw. not american so its a bit different for me

i dont have my transcript and please dont be rude. i am going to retake the mcat though

im canadian btw. not american so its a bit different for me
unless you are in possession of some proof that Canadians have higher graduation and match rates from the carribean, it might not be that different

i dont have my transcript and please dont be rude. i am going to retake the mcat though
it's not rude, it's real.....you are asking advise about a 7yr ~$300k risk without taking the effort to get your transcripts and know for sure where you stand

you need to know that information

Reactions: 1 user
unless you are in possession of some proof that Canadians have higher graduation and match rates from the carribean, it might not be that different

my other question is, when they calculate your science gpa, if i have taken anatomy and physiology in my most recent degree will they use those for my bio mark?

it's not rude, it's real.....you are asking advise about a 7yr ~$300k risk without taking the effort to get your transcripts and know for sure where you stand

you need to know that information
i am waiting on the transcript lol. i just ordered it. i just cant get onto my old school's account for myself cuz i no longer attend. but ive already contacted them for it

A bit harsh, Sb247.

OP, if you're 100% sure you can do it, then apply to Carribean. Be wary, as some of these Carribean schools are just processing plants. They will take your money and not give a crap if you fail out or not. Should you fail out, then you'll be in debt without sufficent means to pay it back. If there is even a slither of doubt in your mind that you can't handle the difficulties of med school, then don't do it. Maybe consider mid level careers, like NP or PA. Even those will be hard, but you wont have that MCAT impeading where you want to go.

However, you may want to retake the MCAT for a better score. And once you have that you can weigh your options better.

A bit harsh, Sb247.

OP, if you're 100% sure you can do it, then apply to Carribean. Be wary, as some of these Carribean schools are just processing plants. They will take your money and not give a crap if you fail out or not. Should you fail out, then you'll be in debt without sufficent means to pay it back. If there is even a slither of doubt in your mind that you can't handle the difficulties of med school, then don't do it. Maybe consider mid level careers, like NP or PA. Even those will be hard, but you wont have that MCAT impeading where you want to go.

However, you may want to retake the MCAT for a better score. And once you have that you can weigh your options better.
thank you for your response. i want to be a dr. more than anything. i struggled in my first degree with how to demonstrate my knowledge on a mc exam and only in the last 3 years have i figured out how to test better given my situation. i was only planning on applying to sgu.

Reactions: 1 users
A bit harsh, Sb247.

"get the hell out of the road" is not harsh when someone is asking which lane of the freeway is best to play in.....they don't have their information, what little they do have says they are likely to lose their money in the carribean and not get a residency, I'm doing them a favor

Reactions: 2 users

People have been quite rude but I know people who went to AUC and SGU and they enjoyed it. AUC has a more advanced island and you should look into it. With the low MCAT it's a minor roadblock. From what I have been told, so it's hearsay, AUC matches really well. My friend is in Pennsylvania doing her residency right now. If I were in your situation and was as determined as you, I would apply to SGU and AUC.

morrisol, if you're crazy determined to become a doctor, I would recommend you apply to US med schools (MD and DO). Your life experiences are interesting and schools might overlook your low scores. DO schools in particular are very interested in a diverse class, and you'll definitely bring unique life experiences to any medical school class.

morrisol, if you're crazy determined to become a doctor, I would recommend you apply to US med schools (MD and DO). Your life experiences are interesting and schools might overlook your low scores. DO schools in particular are very interested in a diverse class, and you'll definitely bring unique life experiences to any medical school class.
I’m worried I won’t be considered due to my mcat at any decent med school in the USA. And thousands apply so I doubt they’d even consider me

Enrollment and Demographics - School of Medicine | St. George's University
5,600 MD students (which means they should be matching ~1400/yr if everyone makes it)

More Than 860 St. George’s University Graduates Garner US Residency Positions on Match Day 2017 | St. George's University
860 got a residency last year (only 7 canadian residencies)

860/1400= ~61% make it to residency, using their numbers.

SGU student here. Your numbers are pretty much on par. August entering students have about 1,000 students entering, and january has about 600, so there's really like 1600 entering each year and then yeah, about 800-900 end up matching. There's one match/graduation a year, so they lump the jan and august class together as one, so you can combine them as 1600 a year start. Rumors are that this august class will have 1100 students entering, so numbers keep going up and up, it's insane.

I know from my starting class last august, about 200 have dropped out/had to repeat already, so they weed people out pretty quickly in basic sciences, and then of course those can't pass step.

They do play with the numbers a lot here. I must admit that they do accept a good amount of students that are just not ready for med school and cannot handle it, I have met many of these people and they have dropped out already. They also take in a good amount of local Grenadian and trinidad students and a good amount of them cannot make it through to match because of either the rigor of studies here, or getting visas for the US. Then, in the 860 that end up matching, they also factor in those who had to re-apply to match a second or third year.

Therefore, i'd say it is closer to 50% of those that start end up matching the first time around. I've noticed how naive students here from Canada are about the difficulty of getting a residency back in Canada. It is extremely difficult for Canadians.

Now, even though around 50% make it through, you have to think who the people are that aren't making it through. Like I said, it's mostly caribbean students, or other students that were accepted to SGU but shouldn't of been.. they just can't handle it and have no place here, and even if they barely scrape by grade wise, they can't pass step 1.

To the OP- I suggest re-taking the MCAT and look into DO if you still can't get into Canadian/US schools. Just know that if you are Canadian it is extremely difficult to match in Canada as an IMG from SGU or anywhere else. With a 492 you should get into SGU (if your gpa is truly a 3.9), as long as you do well on the interview. It's a risk coming here, so exhaust all your other options first and be very very educated into those risks and what you need to do to do well here. It's one thing to say "I am very determined and will study hard here and do well." Most students say that and they just don't realize what it takes, emotionally and physically to do well here in the carib. By well, I mean around 85% grades or higher, which is what you need to stay competitive to match and correlates with a good step score. Just be educated, that is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
SGU student here. Your numbers are pretty much on par. August entering students have about 1,000 students entering, and january has about 600, so there's really like 1600 entering each year and then yeah, about 800-900 end up matching. There's one match/graduation a year, so they lump the jan and august class together as one, so you can combine them as 1600 a year start. Rumors are that this august class will have 1100 students entering, so numbers keep going up and up, it's insane.

I know from my starting class last august, about 200 have dropped out/had to repeat already, so they weed people out pretty quickly in basic sciences, and then of course those can't pass step.

They do play with the numbers a lot here. I must admit that they do accept a good amount of students that are just not ready for med school and cannot handle it, I have met many of these people and they have dropped out already. They also take in a good amount of local Grenadian and trinidad students and a good amount of them cannot make it through to match because of either the rigor of studies here, or getting visas for the US. Then, in the 860 that end up matching, they also factor in those who had to re-apply to match a second or third year.

Therefore, i'd say it is closer to 50% of those that start end up matching the first time around. I've noticed how naive students here from Canada are about the difficulty of getting a residency back in Canada. It is extremely difficult for Canadians.

Now, even though around 50% make it through, you have to think who the people are that aren't making it through. Like I said, it's mostly caribbean students, or other students that were accepted to SGU but shouldn't of been.. they just can't handle it and have no place here, and even if they barely scrape by grade wise, they can't pass step 1.

To the OP- I suggest re-taking the MCAT and look into DO if you still can't get into Canadian/US schools. Just know that if you are Canadian it is extremely difficult to match in Canada as an IMG from SGU or anywhere else. With a 492 you should get into SGU (if your gpa is truly a 3.9), as long as you do well on the interview. It's a risk coming here, so exhaust all your other options first and be very very educated into those risks and what you need to do to do well here. It's one thing to say "I am very determined and will study hard here and do well." Most students say that and they just don't realize what it takes, emotionally and physically to do well here in the carib. By well, I mean around 85% grades or higher, which is what you need to stay competitive to match and correlates with a good step score. Just be educated, that is all.
Sorry to hijack this thread. Do people in the January class typically fair better than the August (smaller class size and all)? And would you say the people who don't do well are those with disillusions about Medicine/Medical school or are there a fair amount of people who put in genuine effort but can't cut it? Do you think it's harder than other Med schools (in the U.S.) per say? Just had some questions come to mind, thanks for your time!

Sorry to hijack this thread. Do people in the January class typically fair better than the August (smaller class size and all)? And would you say the people who don't do well are those with disillusions about Medicine/Medical school or are there a fair amount of people who put in genuine effort but can't cut it? Do you think it's harder than other Med schools (in the U.S.) per say? Just had some questions come to mind, thanks for your time!

I was a January class student, I didn't really see a huge difference in performance between the August and January classes, keep in mind that the majority of the work you do at SGU is self guided, so the change in instructor:student isn't really that important in the long run. I'd say the biggest advantage that being in the January class gives is when it comes time for step one. You'll finish earlier and have more time to study before clinicals start than the August class does.

thanks for the response. i have decided not to apply for august to sgu. im going to rewrite my mcat and then apply to australia, sgu, ireland and israel with whatever score i get. if i get in elsewhere ill go there over sgu.

I feel like the january class is on par with the august class, performance wise. I don't really think the smaller class size makes a difference as it's still a huge class whether it's 600 or 1,000. There's so many reasons why people don't do well. From what i've noticed, there's definitely some people here that just aren't motivated and don't really study and think magic will happen with their grade. Then there's people that have language problems, psychological/anxiety problems, relationship problems, then those that just get distracted and party too much and treat this like a vacation.

I went to a med school in the US for my masters and I know how hard it is there too, i'd say the workload is on par with US schools, just most of the professors there are much better than SGU. After all, we learn the same stuff to study for the same licensing exam as US schools, so the material is really the same, it's just how they present the material is a bit different. Don't get me wrong, most students here do take studying seriously and put in a lot of effort and do well. It's all about time management and keeping up with the material.