Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
bluekty said:
I need opinions guys...

1. so... will getting good grades in a post-bacc program definately raise the chance to get accepted no matter how the undergrad GPA was?
There are many postbac success stories here with some atrocious undergrad GPAs!
bluekty said:
2. would it make difference getting a post-bacc certificate degree in a state university like CSU or in a well-known university (ex. Loma Linda)
CSU = Colorado State University? As in their MS in Biomedical Sciences program? It's a master's, one-year, and relatively inexpensive. No thesis, but you have to take a 4-day final comprehensive written examination. I'm pretty sure at least two SDNers went through the program and got into U Colorado's med school. But I don't know how much weight it will carry in other professional schools. The program itself looks solid. Loma Linda's certificate program is receptive to pre-dents, you can even apply with a DAT. Better known programs have their advantages, but lesser known programs can be effective too. If you can pay for one of the better known programs (like G-town SMP, BU MAMS, etc.) and you just need to prove your academic capabilities, definitely go the better known route b/c adcoms will be familiar with the difficulty and significance of your record in these programs.
bluekty said:
3. do you think it is possible to finish a post-bacc program in 2 quarters (like spring and summer quarters) and apply for this year again? I meant...i need to take 24 quarter units for the post-bacc programs. will it be hard or too much taking 12 units per quarter?
I'm not too familiar with quarter units. Also it depends on your academic situation.
bluekty said:
4. is there any program leads into dental school?
I don't know too much about dental programs, but I do know that Nova has their own two-year Master of Biomedical Sciences program that supposedly feeds into their dental school. There's some old threads on this. Maybe the BU GMS students can comment on how effective the MA Medical Sciences program is for pre-dents. Honestly, I haven't a clue. But good luck! :D

benelswick

15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Don't mean to throw .02$ from left field but....
what exactly about Loma Linda is "well-known". The the only thing that I've heard about them is that their somewhat faith-based. To me your kind of comparing chicken salad to tunafish sandwiches--not crucial imho.--Ben.

benelswick

15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
What i'm getting at is this.....

I go to SFSU; i think their science program is great; what do adcom's know of sfsu?--I really don't know....but I wouldn't be going anywhere else anyway. The school is adequate, is close by, is affordable...etc.

I mean, we live in a state with some of the best public and private schools in the country...Berkley, Standford...UCLA....etc. I think there is a certain level of pedigree.....and then way down that line there is the rest of us....and there is little to distinguish the "rest of us" from each other that is worthy of considering above convienence and bang for your buck. I personally think that Loma Linda has no reputation outside of the state to speak of--that i know of anyway, so I would make a decision based on your other needs. Best of Luck.--Ben.