Need Post-Bac Start up ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtg5677

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll make this brief. I began classes this semester at SFSU as an Open University student. Being Open University means that you have a really tough time getting into classes, as you are considered lowest priority. I was lucky to get cell bio this semester. In addition to the ease of registration it would have been financially easier to be second bac status next fall as well. The problem is that there have been educational budget cuts in California, which has caused the university to disallow any 2nd bacs from matriculating. Which leaves me with having to possibly be Open University again. I'm feeling kind of low about this. I have decided to VP the pre-osteopathic group; I landed a couple of good courses etc. The problem I'm potentially facing in the fall is not getting my labs, which are very difficult for Open University students to get. I have the pre-health advisor working with me on getting my status changed from open univ to 2nd bac, but he told me to prepare for the worst. I guess what that means is this could slow down my progress?:(

Members don't see this ad.

You could sign up for the SFSU formal postbac program but that is very expensive compared to now defunct 2nd-bac option.

CSU East Bay is still taking applications for 2nd-bac. SJSU is closed to 2nd-bac.

UCB summer session registration starts in mid-February for non-UC students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not familiar with those schools but can't you just enroll as a undergrad in Chemistry or similar and be a part time student?

I am not familiar with those schools but can't you just enroll as a undergrad in Chemistry or similar and be a part time student?

No. Most Univ of California schools never accept second baccalaureate candidates. The Cal State Universities (SFSU/SJSU/etc) were friendly to second baccalaureate candidates who had a GPA of 2.5 or above until now due to the governor's proposed budget cuts.

If you cannot matriculate for either UC or CSU, you have to crash the class on the first day, wait until all the regular students get a chance to add the class, and then pray there is space for you after all of the regulars get a seat.

No. Most Univ of California schools never accept second baccalaureate candidates. The Cal State Universities (SFSU/SJSU/etc) were friendly to second baccalaureate candidates who had a GPA of 2.5 or above until now due to the governor's proposed budget cuts.

If you cannot matriculate for either UC or CSU, you have to crash the class on the first day, wait until all the regular students get a chance to add the class, and then pray there is space for you after all of the regulars get a seat.
that really sucks man! I wish u good luck :luck:

Are you sure you can't register as a 2nd bacc at SFSU? I did this summer without any problem. I ended up going to SJSU instead and had no problem signing up for classes at all. In fact, their pre-med website even tells non-trads to sign up for a 2nd BA and then drop it after pre-reqs are done rather than sign up through Open University. I would have rather gone to a UC but they told me absolutely no 2nd baccs and that it would be futile trying to get into undergrad science classes as a UC entension student.

That said, I do plan on going to UCSC for summer school and will still try to weasel some way into a 2nd bacc there. The 6 am bus across the mountains is no fun when I have a UC a half mile away.

Good luck and I hope you get the classes you need.

uc extension is way easy to get into, im taking bio there now. its only a couple hundred dollars a class. i also know people who went to laney in oakland, for even cheaper. there are lots of other options in the bay besides sfsu!

sheesh I would ask if you could register at a community college...makes sense.. cut the number of students paying for classes but keep the Deans secretaries.. so much for higher education...
Good luck