Need rank list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScottieT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm agonizing over my top programs to rank and would like some honest opinions. I really liked all the programs I visited, but I'm not even sure what exactly my priorities are (i.e., four vs three years) and what I want to be doing after residency (fourth year of med school is KILLING my motivation and work ethic)

I know I could be happy at many programs, but I was hoping someone could tell me some things about these places that may give me some more insight (such as reputation, quality, etc). You'd THINK I would've gotten this during my interviews, but it was easy to get them mixed up at the end.

UNC
Cinci
Ann Arbor

Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I turned down the Michigan interview because of the 4 year thing, didn't get an interview at UNC, and didn't apply to Cincy, but here's my opinion.

If you want to do academics, stick with 3 years and a fellowship. If you want to do community EM, stick with 3 years. (Score UNC)

I've spent lots of time in Durham/Chapel Hill and in Ann Arbor, and both are great places. Cincy I've never been to, and I hope it stays that way. :oops:

If you want warm, UNC wins. If you want good college basketball and outdoor activities, UNC wins. If you want 4 seasons and good college football, Michigan wins. (Tie, Michigan and UNC)

I'd pick UNC if I had the choice, for location and career flexibility. Hope I helped.

And the difference between a 4-year program and a 3-year program followed by a 1-year fellowship is???? Seems to me both add up to four years.

IMO, for academics, Cincinnati is the clear choice. When I interviewed there I found that their graduates had their pick of top jobs, both academic and community, all over the country.

And the difference between a 4-year program and a 3-year program followed by a 1-year fellowship is???? Seems to me both add up to four years.

Except that after a fellowship you have an added qualification other residency trained EM physicians don't have. Looks good on the "faculty" list for a program no doubt.

Casey