Need rank list help

Started by ScottieT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ScottieT

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I'm agonizing over my top programs to rank and would like some honest opinions. I really liked all the programs I visited, but I'm not even sure what exactly my priorities are (i.e., four vs three years) and what I want to be doing after residency (fourth year of med school is KILLING my motivation and work ethic)

I know I could be happy at many programs, but I was hoping someone could tell me some things about these places that may give me some more insight (such as reputation, quality, etc). You'd THINK I would've gotten this during my interviews, but it was easy to get them mixed up at the end.

UNC
Cinci
Ann Arbor


Thanks!
🙂
 
Well, I turned down the Michigan interview because of the 4 year thing, didn't get an interview at UNC, and didn't apply to Cincy, but here's my opinion.

If you want to do academics, stick with 3 years and a fellowship. If you want to do community EM, stick with 3 years. (Score UNC)

I've spent lots of time in Durham/Chapel Hill and in Ann Arbor, and both are great places. Cincy I've never been to, and I hope it stays that way. 😳

If you want warm, UNC wins. If you want good college basketball and outdoor activities, UNC wins. If you want 4 seasons and good college football, Michigan wins. (Tie, Michigan and UNC)

I'd pick UNC if I had the choice, for location and career flexibility. Hope I helped.
 
And the difference between a 4-year program and a 3-year program followed by a 1-year fellowship is???? Seems to me both add up to four years.

IMO, for academics, Cincinnati is the clear choice. When I interviewed there I found that their graduates had their pick of top jobs, both academic and community, all over the country.
 
And the difference between a 4-year program and a 3-year program followed by a 1-year fellowship is???? Seems to me both add up to four years.

Except that after a fellowship you have an added qualification other residency trained EM physicians don't have. Looks good on the "faculty" list for a program no doubt.

Casey