Need recommendations on away/research electives

Started by eastMD511
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eastMD511

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in rads and it's basically been a last minute decision. Anyways, I'm hoping it's not too late to set up elective time for next year. I think I will have more to gain by doing at least one (maybe 2?) research elective so that when interview time comes I can say I've done rads research at the very least. I think it will also make it much easier to get a solid LOR from a research elective than an actual clinical elective where I stare and nod my head up and down while being absolutely $hite clueless as to what's going on. Besides showing enthusiasm I'm not sure how I would impress an attending on a rads elective.
I'm also not completely familiar with how integral research is in the whole scheme of things for matching.

For what it's worth:
Step 1: 243
No AOA or clinical honors yet, still a couple to go
Worked on a couple non-rads research projects, but none were fruitful enough to get published.
Good extracurricular involvement.

Help...anyone? 🙂
 
I'm interested in rads and it's basically been a last minute decision. Anyways, I'm hoping it's not too late to set up elective time for next year. I think I will have more to gain by doing at least one (maybe 2?) research elective so that when interview time comes I can say I've done rads research at the very least. I think it will also make it much easier to get a solid LOR from a research elective than an actual clinical elective where I stare and nod my head up and down while being absolutely $hite clueless as to what's going on. Besides showing enthusiasm I'm not sure how I would impress an attending on a rads elective.
I'm also not completely familiar with how integral research is in the whole scheme of things for matching.

For what it's worth:
Step 1: 243
No AOA or clinical honors yet, still a couple to go
Worked on a couple non-rads research projects, but none were fruitful enough to get published.
Good extracurricular involvement.

Help...anyone? 🙂

You know that question you've seen on the shelf exams and Step 2 prep that offers 4 or 5 treatment options and then down at the bottom is "reassurance?" Well, that's where you fall. Research is nice, but not a requisite, especially given your Step 1 score. Even a radiology letter is nice, but again, not required.

If you're a rational person that isn't difficult to work with and don't have other problems with your application that you don't mention, you should have no problem interviewing and matching.