psychogurl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
Status
My professor ditched my topic and told me to set up a meeting with him to discuss my research paper. However, now a week later and no meeting, I have only a week to do this paper. I can't seem to come with an other idea than what I had wanted to do.

So, I have to do a research paper on any of the following research topics:
Schiziod, avoidant, dependant, depressive, histrionic, narcississtic, OC, Masochistic, Psychopathic, or paranoid character styles or personality disorders.

The guidelines he give the class were very vague, only stating that "acceptable topics include any of the following character styles or personality disorders".

Can anyone give me any ideas on what to research? Maybe u can spark my interest?

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Canada
Visit site
Status
Pick one personality disorder. Find a review article or read a book chapter in a recent textbook of personality disorders on it to start. Do it now as you have little time :)

If you're interested in ethics of diagnosis, dependent personality is controversial i.e. we socialize women to be dependent on others and then we diagnose them as dependent when they act in agreement with social values....

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yups..I posted earlier on finding a research topic..from none I have now 10.. the people here are really nice ;)

I would like to know, I've seen so called papers where they just discuss about a disease, and it's not even referring to a patient. What's this called?

psychgeek

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Chicago
Status
Psychologist
psychogurl said:
My professor ditched my topic and told me to set up a meeting with him to discuss my research paper. However, now a week later and no meeting, I have only a week to do this paper. I can't seem to come with an other idea than what I had wanted to do.

So, I have to do a research paper on any of the following research topics:
Schiziod, avoidant, dependant, depressive, histrionic, narcississtic, OC, Masochistic, Psychopathic, or paranoid character styles or personality disorders.

The guidelines he give the class were very vague, only stating that "acceptable topics include any of the following character styles or personality disorders".

Can anyone give me any ideas on what to research? Maybe u can spark my interest?
Gotta love profs that are both vague and picky.

I'm curious. You didn't list Borderline PD. Was this an accident or did he actually exclude Borderline Personality Disorder from the list of acceptable topics? If the ommission was an accident then you could do a review of Dialectical Behavior Therapy and it application to BPD. The topic lends itself to a quick and dirty research paper because the information is relatively easy to find and put together. That said, it is kind of a tired topic of research.

Actually, now that I think of it, BPD is a pretty easy personality disorder to research in general. If you didn't want to look at DBT (for the 7000th time) you could do something with etiology of Borderline Personality Disorder. There is a lot of research investigating the connection between childhood sexual abuse and the development of BPD.

If BPD was actually excluded from the list of topics, I would suggest you concentrate on some aspect of psychopathy (unlike the other personality structures listed, psychopathy is relatively well-researched). Gender differences in the presentation of psychopathy, psychopathy vs. antisocial personality disorder, and psysiological arousal patterns among psychopaths are a few possible topics that jump to my mind.

Good Luck :D

psychapp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
You could look at schizoid or schizotypal personality disorder or personality traits in adolescents and discuss it in relationship to the later development of psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia.

OP
psychogurl

psychogurl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
Status
Thanks guys...these are all great ideas...now I must begin my search as I have exactly one week to complete this assignment! :oops:

twiggers

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2004
Status
You could look at the developmental issues associated with these disorders, as many of them appear in adolescence, but can show up even earlier.