Need resources for loan repayment/support forums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note: Friendly reminder to please remain professional and on-topic. And that call-outs and the like are against the TOS. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mod Note: Friendly reminder to please remain professional and on-topic. And that call-outs and the like are against the TOS. Thanks.
I know you all hate dynamic/analytic theory but I do think it helps me see from a different conceptualization. We all hate @erg923 for being a rude, dismissive, condescending bully. But look at this - @PsyDr 's first response was to insult my standing without basis or accuracy as though that negated the objective reality of a particular path to loan repayment, after demeaning the OP as having a "personal chef" again without basis. @WisNeuro provides the helpful advice of telling them to expatriate as their life in America is done, @psych.meout joins to similarly deride comments without data while providing no data of his own and shares the condescending tone of others and @spagetti_jones goes on this insane reverse bernie sanders rant.

My point of this is that Erg is Jung's scapegoat. He represents the sins of the community toward which others cast their blame to distance themselves from their own reflection due to him representing these flaws somewhat more than others. In my opinion, all the "old guard" as stated of this board are mean-spirited, judgmental, counterproductive jerks who have no interest in helping others unless and until it bolsters their ego to do so.

I know you all hate dynamic/analytic theory but I do think it helps me see from a different conceptualization. We all hate @erg923 for being a rude, dismissive, condescending bully. But look at this - @PsyDr 's first response was to insult my standing without basis or accuracy as though that negated the objective reality of a particular path to loan repayment, after demeaning the OP as having a "personal chef" again without basis. @WisNeuro provides the helpful advice of telling them to expatriate as their life in America is done, @psych.meout joins to similarly deride comments without data while providing no data of his own and shares the condescending tone of others and @spagetti_jones goes on this insane reverse bernie sanders rant.

My point of this is that Erg is Jung's scapegoat. He represents the sins of the community toward which others cast their blame to distance themselves from their own reflection due to him representing these flaws somewhat more than others. In my opinion, all the "old guard" as stated of this board are mean-spirited, judgmental, counterproductive jerks who have no interest in helping others unless and until it bolsters their ego to do so.

1. No one likes reading a bunch of psycho babble. You should probably just use commonly accepted language if you want to express your outrage. It would At least be more tolerable to read that way.

2. “Hating” someone you don’t know on an Internet forum is ridiculous, and probably borders on psychotic.

3. Many regular posters here provide extremely valuable input, opinions, knowledge and insight regarding this profession everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, all the "old guard" as stated of this board are mean-spirited, judgmental, counterproductive jerks who have no interest in helping others unless and until it bolsters their ego to do so.

I know that the snark can rub some people the wrong way, but I’ve gotten lots of great advice and tips from some of these folks over the years that didn’t seem self-serving. One of the “old guards” you mentioned even took the time out of their busy schedule to have a private telephone conversation with me. I don’t mean to invalidate, but just want to share my opinion as well. I’m super grateful to these folks.

I always find mentions of an “old guard” a bit ridiculous, because one of my really close friends is a long-time poster here (this is actually how we met!), and I think that most posters think we don’t know each other or interact at all.

This is satire, right?

In one hour I can easily source at least 50 threads on both hating erg and ridiculing dynamic theory. The question most days is which is hated more.
Let me know when you get to the ones where Erg defends the utility of psychodynamic techniques in clinical practice when others have claimed its worthlessness.

Let me know when you get to the ones where Erg defends the utility of psychodynamic techniques in clinical practice when others have claimed its worthlessness.
Lol at any of the old guard here having the creativity or depth of training to do things besides manualized interventions for high functioning outpatient va work

Lol at any of the old guard here having the creativity or depth of training to do things besides manualized interventions for high functioning outpatient va work
Ugh, you're right! They might even be using some of those terrible evidence-based treatments!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, you're right! They might even be using some of those terrible evidence-based treatments!
We should be using MS trainees to do EBPs, although I wouldnt trust most of the commenters in these threads to do even those

High functioning? Have you worked in a VA?

High functioning? Have you worked in a VA?
Yes, have you worked at a state hospital where people basically go to die because they will spend decades psychotic or too mentally ill to care for themselves? Have you worked inpatient where people take power drills to their throats etc? Have you seen adolescents cutting open their wrists with the broken off corners of floor tiles? Those were daily life examples of inpatient clinical work.

I loved my inpatient work, outpatient is easy and the fact that people esteem themselves for basically the grown up version of a UCC is sad.

I loved my inpatient work, outpatient is easy and the fact that people esteem themselves for basically the grown up version of a UCC is sad.

I'd rather people have pride in the work they do than belittle and demean the work of others who are helping our nation's veterans try to make it through their days. For someone in the military, you are quite dismissive of the struggles our veterans face.

There is a lot of contempt in your posts. Whatever points you had about the others are undermined by your inappropriate behavior in this thread. What's up?

Last edited:
Yes, have you worked at a state hospital where people basically go to die because they will spend decades psychotic or too mentally ill to care for themselves? Have you worked inpatient where people take power drills to their throats etc? Have you seen adolescents cutting open their wrists with the broken off corners of floor tiles? Those were daily life examples of inpatient clinical work.

So it's either that or high functioning, nothing in between? Got it.

Dude. While I salute your contrarian spirit, @erg923 has nothing on you when it comes to acting like a superior know-it-all.

I have also served in the trenches of an extremely brutal inpatient environment designed for intermediate and long-term care. One of my favorite patients died after stabbing their aorta with a pencil. Some of my patients were missing half a face from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Several schizophrenic sex offenders tried to make me watch them masturbate during sessions. Clinical work with extreme SPMI is indeed really hard on the worst days.

Outpatient/UCC work can also be a complete ****ing nightmare. My scariest clinical moment was with a veteran I had just met in an outpatient rapid-access VA clinic who was threatening to kill us both. That is the most extreme example that comes to mind, though I have many others. As for UCCs, my colleagues in that setting are too busy trying to keep suicidal students alive to challenge outdated stereotypes about cushy college counseling.

I remain amazed that this thread hasn’t been shut down due to unprofessional communication. I assume you’re a dude, @psyc0100, given the reliable trend in which
male posters get away with murder on that front.

YEAH I SAID IT

Reactions: 1 users
Dude. While I salute your contrarian spirit, @erg923 has nothing on you when it comes to acting like a superior know-it-all.

I have also served in the trenches of an extremely brutal inpatient environment designed for intermediate and long-term care. One of my favorite patients died after stabbing their aorta with a pencil. Some of my patients were missing half a face from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Several schizophrenic sex offenders tried to make me watch them masturbate during sessions. Clinical work with extreme SPMI is indeed really hard on the worst days.

Outpatient/UCC work can also be a complete ****ing nightmare. My scariest clinical moment was with a veteran I had just met in an outpatient rapid-access VA clinic who was threatening to kill us both. That is the most extreme example that comes to mind, though I have many others. As for UCCs, my colleagues in that setting are too busy trying to keep suicidal students alive to challenge outdated stereotypes about cushy college counseling.

I remain amazed that this thread hasn’t been shut down due to unprofessional communication. I assume you’re a dude, @psyc0100, given the reliable trend in which
male posters get away with murder on that front.

YEAH I SAID IT
This will be my last post. @cara susanna is one of the few people I actually like on the forum. You know when I was a dumb MS student I asked for advice on getting into a PhD and was bullied by @erg923 in particular and others, and ended up getting into one anyway. I made a new account 4 years later and was told I wouldn't be able to get a VA internship, which I did. Developmental stage by stage, @WisNeuro @erg923 @PsyDr had nothing but insults for me. What have they even done? Have they been in the trenches of either war or inpatient? I've done both, and have little respect for the experiences and bases of these guys to have the level of disdain they do. They're so quick to insult other settings, other approaches, things they haven't even seen. I have seen their places of practice, and it just doesn't prepare them to understand every other setting they're so quick to offer judgment on. I try not to make new accounts more than once every 2 years, so I guess see you guys in a few years.

76BB98A5-7CDF-4D48-BD3C-85C1BECB75D8.jpeg

This will be my last post. @cara susanna is one of the few people I actually like on the forum. You know when I was a dumb MS student I asked for advice on getting into a PhD and was bullied by @erg923 in particular and others, and ended up getting into one anyway. I made a new account 4 years later and was told I wouldn't be able to get a VA internship, which I did. Developmental stage by stage, @WisNeuro @erg923 @PsyDr had nothing but insults for me. What have they even done? Have they been in the trenches of either war or inpatient? I've done both, and have little respect for the experiences and bases of these guys to have the level of disdain they do. They're so quick to insult other settings, other approaches, things they haven't even seen. I have seen their places of practice, and it just doesn't prepare them to understand every other setting they're so quick to offer judgment on. I try not to make new accounts more than once every 2 years, so I guess see you guys in a few years.
Membership Revoked

AA, please tell me this was you.

Confidentiality and not wanting things to turn into a gossip mill. Usually in the case of bans, it's fairly clear to other posters what might have led to the ban.

1) Confidentiality? For whom? People here participate freely; a decision to block further participation doesn’t threaten anyone’s anonymity, as far as I can imagine.

2) Gossip mill? Seriously, who has time to “gossip” about people we don’t know? Nonetheless, why should the community proactively protect banned users from post-ban discussion about their behavior and what we can learn from it, including the decision to ban them? Why should we prioritize the feelings of insecure anonymous dudes who get banned for being terrible community members?

3) Who benefits if “gossip” does briefly proliferate about banned users? Generally, women are the beneficiaries, though the whole community benefits from getting a gut-check about what acceptable behavior looks like.

4) I would argue that the tone of the recently banned person is pretty hard to credibly distinguish from the men who hold court here, though the content of experienced members is far more valuable.

5) Is the informal rule that it’s fine to be rude as long as you’re “right”?

6) I would appreciate more transparency on these decisions. In my opinion, it would be a valuable service to the community to be clear about who gets banned and why. It is not unlike quarterly reports by state licensing boards about psychologists who are appropriately sanctioned. It is collective education about standards and the penalties for violating them.

It has generally been SDN policy that disciplinary actions involving specific members are not publicly discussed. I won't purport to speak for futureapppsy2, but if the terms of service are clearly and/or repeatedly violated (e.g., if a member makes multiple inflammatory posts, makes it known they have little intention of changing and/or positively contributing to the forum, posts spam, outright trolls, etc.), a ban is often issued.

Rudeness is discouraged, as the aims of the forum include maintaining professional, and hopefully collegial, discussion. Sometimes it comes through. It can result (and has in the past resulted) in warnings or other disciplinary actions. In the end, we attempt to maintain a balance.

If there are concerns about posts, users, or moderators and/or their actions, we encourage anyone to to use the report feature. Reported posts are viewed by all moderators, not just the moderators here (or of the forum from which the post originates).

I am going to close this thread for the time being, given the previous string of posts, and the nature of the thread as a whole. The current discussion could continue in a separate thread, if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.