Need serious advice regarding Postbacc vs. MS decision.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSb12

Reaction score
Hello! I've applied to a bunch of post-bacc programs (no SMPs), and also waiting on more offers. I'm having a really hard time figuring out which program would be worth it to attend, if at all. In summary, I ****ed up a lot my first 2-3 years of undergrad, going in and out of school due to health reasons until I recovered and made a comeback in my last 3 semesters (nearly all A's) with an upward trend that brought me to my current GPA. My premed req.s are mostly B's and some C's however since I took those earlier.

Stats: ~3.50 overall GPA and BCPM GPA (137 undergrad hours w/o APs); will be taking MCAT by September in order to apply this cycle (I expect a 517+ and am very confident I can achieve that.) I've shadowed in high school (so 8 years ago), but have a good amount of volunteering experience both clinical and non-clinical, and 1+ years of research experience at a top research school.

Options: I've been accepted to WashU's postbacc program and Johns Hopkins HSI. If I take the postbacc, Undergrad GPA would rise to 3.58 maximum, but I'm interested in JHU's HSI because of the MS in Biotech I would get to do during my gap year, and specific research occurring there that I want to get my foot in the door and acquire experience in.

Questions: Which program do you recommend? (it seems people online aren't fond of JHU's Advanced Academic Programs...) Should I hurry and apply to an SMP instead? I wasn't even planning on applying this cycle until I realized due to COVID I have more time to submit an MCAT score, and that my GPA isn't even that bad. My main concern is I am only willing to do an MD program, and wish to be as competitive as possible. Should I not even apply this cycle, do 1 year of one of the programs, and then apply? Would it even make me more competitive? Pleas help, I'm lost and my stats make this a difficult decision:(.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering what you decided and how are things going?