Need some advice.. 30P with 8 BS, but strong ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msj6403

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I need some serious help with whether:

1) I should retake MCAT and apply next year

or

2) I should still apply broadly and give it a try this year

In summary:

a. General
Major: Math
Minor: BIology
2012 graduate
Submitted the primary mid July
Transcript and letters all submitted and received

b. MCAT:
1st Try (June 2011): 9 P, 10 V, 6 B = 25O
2nd Try (June 2012): 12 P, 10 V, 8 B = 30 P

c. GPA
cGPA = 3.83

d. Major EC
Cancer-related project in Ghana for a semester
Built a micro hydropower turbine for electricity in Cameroon
Built a biosand water filter for clean water in Kenya

4 years of teaching music lesson to Hispanic children (Started the organization)
3 years of breast cancer research
1 year of comparative genome research
Total 5.5 years worth of TA experience (3 different TA positions)

140 hours of shadowing (pathologist, breast surgeon, ER physicians)
Other strong volunteer experiences both local and abroad (hospital, Habitat for Humanity, and etc.)

I am hoping to go to med school somewhere in Northeast; however, after receiving the MCAT score with 8 BS today, I realized that I should probably broaden my school choices if I want to still apply this cycle.

At the same time, even SUNY seems to have a minimum BS score of 10 (bottom 10%).

If you were in my situation, would you retake MCAT and apply next year? Or would you broaden your school list in this cycle? If so, what schools would you suggest?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Choice number 2. In my opinion, you have a pretty damn good chance of getting in

Thanks for your comment! I would like to hear other opinions, perhaps on my school list:

Albany
NYMC
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Univ. of Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
George Washington
Georgetown
Univ of Connecticut
Univ of Massachusetts
Univ of Maryland
Drexel
Jefferson Medical College
Temple
UMDNJ

Longshot:

NYU
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Cornell
Boston (I heard I should take it out since they accept 10k+ apps)

Here's a dilemma:

1) A part of me is saying, you should retake the MCAT, bring the score up to 33-35+, and have a better shot at top-tier schools.

2) Another part of me is saying, finish the app this cycle and see what happens..

I used to have a very high self-esteem, but after the MCAT, I feel very lost what to do..

Thanks for your comment! I would like to hear other opinions, perhaps on my school list:

Albany
NYMC
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
Univ. of Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
George Washington
Georgetown
Univ of Connecticut
Univ of Massachusetts
Univ of Maryland
Drexel
Jefferson Medical College
Temple
UMDNJ

Longshot:

NYU
Albert Einstein
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Cornell
Boston (I heard I should take it out since they accept 10k+ apps)

Here's a dilemma:

1) A part of me is saying, you should retake the MCAT, bring the score up to 33-35+, and have a better shot at top-tier schools.

2) Another part of me is saying, finish the app this cycle and see what happens..

I used to have a very high self-esteem, but after the MCAT, I feel very lost what to do..

I think you'll get into med school if you apply broadly this cycle, but you'll definitely have a very competitive chance at the top their if you wait after you retake the mcat. Ask yourself: will you regret not performing to the best of your abilities? Will you wonder whether or not you could've gone to a different med school had you waited? Will you be able to live with your decision? On the other hand, what do you have to lose if you gap?

Personally, I would gap and wait. I want to make sure I apply when I'm at my strongest because I don't want to have any regrets.

Either way, you'll have an amazing future ahead of you. Good luck!