Need Some Advice As a Pre-Pre-Med

Started by Nascent
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nascent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a soon-to-be pre-med student. Theoretically, what is the best possible resume to ensure my acceptance into medical school: what specific volunteer activities, clubs, and courses? (besides the basic reqs.) I've heard that studying for the MCAT is not useful until junior year; is this true, and should I have less volunteer work/courses during those latter years for more time to practice the MCAT? And, lastly, is a ~4.0 at a lower tier school valued more than a ~3.7 at a higher tier school?
 
Last edited:
Relax. Take necessary freshman classes for your major. Do well and don't worry so much about extracurriculars.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you guys just stop reading as soon as I said "soon-to-be pre-med" or....? I'm looking for some serious advice from those who already walked the path.
 
Yes I read, and my advice for you is to not dig yourself into a hole freshman year. Just concentrate on getting a decent gpa, and A's in any prereq courses (chem, phys, or bio). College is very different from high school, and you may find that you'll have to try much harder/adapt to get good grades. Save the ECs and the MCAT for a later date. I'm not going to answer your last question because it has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. The search function is your friend.
 
Just make sure you get good grades your freshman year. That's the most important thing in the beginning.
 
I'm a soon-to-be pre-med student. Theoretically, what is the best possible resume to ensure my acceptance into medical school: what specific volunteer activities, clubs, and courses? (besides the basic reqs.) I've heard that studying for the MCAT is not useful until junior year; is this true, and should I have less volunteer work/courses during those latter years for more time to practice the MCAT? And, lastly, is a ~4.0 at a lower tier school valued more than a ~3.7 at a higher tier school?


The least you need are #1) at least a 3.5 GPA overall and science and #2) a 30 or higher on the MCAT with at least 10 on each section. Then a couple of volunteer and club activities and you will get into some US med school.

What this means is don't go overboard taking the toughest classes and ending up with a low GPA. Study for the MCAT ASAP. It is a tough exam. To get a 30 on the MCAT which is the magic score, you will have to do better than 80% of the people who take the exam. Best of luck.
 
IMO, go to the cheaper university unless one significantly gives more opportunities to better your application.