Need some advice before creating a plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambroise

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on SDN and I just have to say that I wish I knew about this forum sooner. It has already helped me clarify a lot of my questions about the medical school application process as well as yielding a few useful tips to help me along the way. I currently have some questions about my situation that I would appreciate some advice on.

But first, here are my raw numbers and info so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to apply this year due to my low cGPA, but more on this a little later.

Junior Neurobiology Major at UW-Madison
cGPA: 3.464
BCPM: 3.63
Dean's list: College of Engineering (1 semester), College of Agricultural and Life Science (2 semesters)
Taking part in the 'Honors in Research' program and will submit a thesis senior year

Work/Research Experience:
Med School Department of Neuroscience, conducted research on a novel therapeutic target for ALS treatment through molecular and behavioral studies (currently not published, may change very soon)

Med School Dept. of Anatomy (project TBD)

Awarded a fellowship to do research here next summer

Worked for WI-Department of Natural Resources doing literature reviews on invasive plants all last summer

Worked in a cemetery during summer between freshman and sophomore year (before I decided I was pre-med. Not completely relevent, but interesting...)

ECs:

Coordinated a philanthropy event (Ski for Cancer) with my fraternity which raised $30,000 for leukemia research last year.

Currently serving on a student government committee which reviews and approves the annual budget for the entire student healthcare system

Humorology - Produced a 20 minute musical with a cast entirely of students, it's an annual thing put on by the Greek council

Healthcare and Research Society - Helped found; we help connect faculty on campus with students interested in healthcare and research by arranging presentations and what-not.

Wisconsin Track Club - Did this sophomore year, three practices/week, ran in area college track meets

Volunteering: A lot of one-time things. I actually excluded a few because they weren't even 5 hours in some cases.

I am going to gather ~100 hours of shadowing and clinical volunteering this coming semester, already sent in my app to one of the hospitals on campus

Rusk County Memorial Hospital (Physical Therapy Department) - 20 hours
Annual Women with Courage Cancer Foundation 5/10K
Wisconsin Public Television: Pledge phone bank volunteer - 5 hours
St. Mary’s Care Center - 5 hours
Crazylegs 5/10K: Check-in - 5 hours
Habitat for Humanity Soup Dinner - 5 hours
St. Vincent De Paul Food Pantry – 30 hours

I have shown a strong upward trend in my semester GPA and I just got my first 4.0 last semester while taking some pretty difficult coursework (OChem lab, Physiology, Pharmacology, Neurobiology) and I don't doubt that I can do it again this semester. The problem is that I don't know if I'll have enough time to study for the MCAT during the semester in order to do well come April so I can apply early this summer. I know that applying late isn't the best option due to my marginal GPA.

I'm not sure how all this compares with other applicants, but I'm currently debating putting off my application for a year and applying the summer after I graduate. I feel that this would give me adequate time to raise my cGPA and to ensure that I do well enough on the MCAT to be competetive. What would you guys have to say about my reasoning here?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Your GPA is marginal. If you don't think you can get a good (30+) MCAT score while taking classes, wait till you are done. That is your decision to make. I would suggest taking a few practice MCATs, see where you are at and go from there. If you do take it this year and you score isn't as good as you want it to be, consider DO.

The upward trend is good and your EC's are good. Getting more clinical exposure would help your application as well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I decided that I will give the MCAT a shot this April and if it doesn't go well I'll prepare for an August MCAT. It's going to be a very busy semester to say the least!

I currently have some questions about my situation that I would appreciate some advice on.

But first, here are my raw numbers and info so far. I'm not sure if I'm going to apply this year due to my low cGPA, but more on this a little later.

Junior Neurobiology Major at UW-Madison
cGPA: 3.464
BCPM: 3.63
Dean's list: College of Engineering (1 semester), College of Agricultural and Life Science (2 semesters)
Taking part in the 'Honors in Research' program and will submit a thesis senior year

Work/Research Experience:
Med School Department of Neuroscience, conducted research on a novel therapeutic target for ALS treatment through molecular and behavioral studies (currently not published, may change very soon)

Med School Dept. of Anatomy (project TBD)

Awarded a fellowship to do research here next summer

Worked for WI-Department of Natural Resources doing literature reviews on invasive plants all last summer

Worked in a cemetery during summer between freshman and sophomore year (before I decided I was pre-med. Not completely relevent, but interesting...)

ECs:

Coordinated a philanthropy event (Ski for Cancer) with my fraternity which raised $30,000 for leukemia research last year.

Currently serving on a student government committee which reviews and approves the annual budget for the entire student healthcare system

Humorology - Produced a 20 minute musical with a cast entirely of students, it's an annual thing put on by the Greek council

Healthcare and Research Society - Helped found; we help connect faculty on campus with students interested in healthcare and research by arranging presentations and what-not.

Wisconsin Track Club - Did this sophomore year, three practices/week, ran in area college track meets

Volunteering: A lot of one-time things. I actually excluded a few because they weren't even 5 hours in some cases.

I am going to gather ~100 hours of shadowing and clinical volunteering this coming semester, already sent in my app to one of the hospitals on campus

Rusk County Memorial Hospital (Physical Therapy Department) - 20 hours
Annual Women with Courage Cancer Foundation 5/10K
Wisconsin Public Television: Pledge phone bank volunteer - 5 hours
St. Mary's Care Center - 5 hours
Crazylegs 5/10K: Check-in - 5 hours
Habitat for Humanity Soup Dinner - 5 hours
St. Vincent De Paul Food Pantry – 30 hours

I have shown a strong upward trend in my semester GPA and I just got my first 4.0 last semester while taking some pretty difficult coursework (OChem lab, Physiology, Pharmacology, Neurobiology) and I don't doubt that I can do it again this semester. The problem is that I don't know if I'll have enough time to study for the MCAT during the semester in order to do well come April so I can apply early this summer. I know that applying late isn't the best option due to my marginal GPA.

I'm not sure how all this compares with other applicants, but I'm currently debating putting off my application for a year and applying the summer after I graduate. I feel that this would give me adequate time to raise my cGPA and to ensure that I do well enough on the MCAT to be competetive. What would you guys have to say about my reasoning here?

Thanks!!
Waiting to apply an additional year would definitely be in your best interests since you only want to do this once. Besides the need for additional GPA repair, your planned clinical exposure would be very sparse by 6 months from now, considering that 150 hours of clinical experience + 50 hours of shadowing is about the average listed on AMCAS applications. Adcomms like to see that you have thoughtfully tested medicine as a career over a prolonged period of time rather than jumped into it impulsively. The physicial therapy department would be a fine place to gain patient interaction experience if you are allowed to interact with them, perhaps by helping with exercises.

With less time pressure, you could reasonably study for the MCAT all summer and take the test in August or September 2012 for a planned 6/2013 application date. Your score is likely to be stronger if your study time isn't distracted by the need to get straight As in classes and maintain your ECs while collecting LORs.

It would also help your application is you had more longevity with a single nonmedical community service gig. For example, since you have a nice start with the food pantry, you might continue to pick up hours there on a more regular basis.