Need some advice- DIY Postbacc vs SMP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancingDO

Reaction score
Hello! I will be graduating in May with a 3.2 gpa, 3.08 sgpa. I will be retaking my MCAT in June, I received a sub 500 my first time due to severe burnout. I have also just gotten accepted into an SMP at PCOM-GA but I am confused if I should do that or do a DIY postbacc at my current 4 year university and retake some classes I did subpar in (I've received around 5 C's and one D).

My main reasoning is because of the mixed reviews I have heard of PCOM-GA and the high cost of doing an SMP but I'm really confused about which is a better path. Doing a DIY postbacc would also give me some time to increase my clinical hours but I don't know if it would raise my GPA enough to be competitive.

Also, I am mainly looking to go into DO schools and I am an ORM. I have 1000+ hours in research, 300+ hours in non-clinical volunteering, around 100 hours in direct patient care and multiple leadership positions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested mostly in DO, you should pass on the SMP. Your GPA is good enough as-is for many DO schools with a 505+ MCAT. I would do the DIY-post-bacc at a local college and commit to retaking the MCAT instead. If you can raise your sGPA to above 3.3, you would be in a good place for applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do an SMP. Your GPAs are low, but they're high enough to exceed most schools' screening thresholds. Also, don't ever retake a class unless it's required for admission and you got a C- or lower in it.

SMPs are high risk-high reward, and they're only worthwhile as a last resort. A low GPA in an SMP is extremely (often irredeemably) damaging to an application, but strong SMP performance can lead to a smooth, painless acceptance.

DO schools tend to emphasize your highest MCAT attempt, so don't worry too much about your low score from before. Use a Reddit MCAT Anki deck (e.g., MCAT Anking) every day, go through all the section banks and UWorld questions, take a bunch of NS and AAMC practice exams, etc. If you can knock the MCAT out of the park, you'll be in a good position to get DO interviews if you apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users