Need Some Advice Guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JOliv010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What up everyone

I just need some advice over here. My overall GPA is 3.38 went down from a 3.45 I did not do so hot in my bio classes. I have only took 4 real science classes. 8 credits of General Bio C+, C. An upper division Anatomy and Physiology 8 credits B, B. I still got Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Gentetics, and Microbiology. Also a lot of Excerise Science Classes like Nutrition, and Kinselogy. I got 2 years left in my college career. I am kinding losing hope, do you think maybe I should pursue another career such as a coast guard officer. I mean I just don't think my numbers will be competive even after my bachelor's degree. Any info would help?

Later
Jon

Members don't see this ad.

Jon, do you want to be a Pharm.D.? If you answer yes to this question then go for it!! Just study and if you are not getting the material talk to the prof, get a tutor, or find someone to help "make it click". Your grades look good so far. I would at least give Chem and O-Chem a try and see how you do. But if you never try you never know what could have happened. I would have a back up plan, but i tell that to everyone because you never know what is going to happen. Hope this helps, just my .02, DocRx

Do really well in Chemistry and that Genetics. Your stats so far looks decent. You can bring up that GPA with A 's in those classes you have left. Don't worry. Study Hard

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the question to ask is "Are you doing your best?". If you truly studied your behind off, attended all classes, reviewed your notes daily, visited professor's office hours, etc...and still got C's in Bio...it may be possible that you would have difficulty with PharmD coursework. However, if you weren't trying your hardest, had a really tough prof or something like that, I think you'd be selling yourself short to give up now. The B's in A&P (a really tough course) indicate to me that you have the ability to do well in hard science course.

Your chem grades will be very important. Strive to do well. Get a tutor if you need to, or see if your school offers tutoring for free. The key to doing well in chem is problems. Do them once, twice, and a third time to really make sure you know the material. Your GPA is good..if you can keep it where it is (and get pharmacy experience, do well on your PCATs, etc) you'll be in good shape to apply to school. If you have difficulty with your studies (even if it's a little question), I encourage you to visit your professors' office hours...this will help in more ways than one: you'll learn the material better, and probably get a better grade...AND..when it comes time to get those letters of recommendation, you'll have professors who know you and can write you a good letter!

Good luck to you, and don't give up!

Hey,
if you want to go to pharmacy school, you still have time to work hard and improve your grades. Sometimes i wonder if ill make it through, but then i think about how i want to be a pharmacist and i just have to make it through school. Just have to keep focused.
As for the gpa, maybe try taking some courses you are interested in, easier courses, having a class you really enjoy can make a big difference in the semester.

Hi!
jOliv010,

You have lot of time left to raise your GPA. I think your GPA right now is preety good, but keep up good work. Pharmacy schools look at GPA, PCAT, personal statement(essay), Interview, Extracurricular activities, and etc... So, they want someone who is alrounded, they don't want someone who has 4.00 GPA and doesn't have any Pharmacy related experience. They look at other things too not just GPA. Try to get some pharmacy related experience by (volunteering at hospital pharmacy, working as a Pharmacy Technician). You're in good shape and keep up good work.

Good Luck!!!

I hope this helps!

You can look for statistics about accepted students for the 2004-2005 year at Pharmcas website,under the school webpage icon.

Thanks Everyone! I know I can do it, I just want to have to do it. I did better in A&P because I really don't like plants and bacteria concepts. I checked some school out like Wingate and Shenadoah the average is a 3.2 so I am right there. I want to go to Shenadoah University can anyone give me advice. Let just get 3.8-4.0 the next 2 year to show adcoms I want it. Thank for the help. Any more advice would be good.