Need some advice - Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernoulli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You all have more experience in majors than I do. Collectively I feel that you all can give me more insight into the choices I currently have.

Choice 1: BA Physics - PreHealth track: Incorporates pre-med prerequisites into the Physics curriculum. Recommended for pre-meds at my university. Really unnecessary for me since I have Bio, Chem, English, Math, Sociology, and Psychology finished. I'd finish this path in Fall 2014. Don't really want a BA as an alternative to not getting into medical school though.

Choice 2: BS Physics - No concentration: Very math heavy, I'm talking Fourier Analysis and Partial Differential Equations. 400/4000 level Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, and many other theoretical physics courses. Seems like it could tank my GPA, but has a good job outlook.

Choice 3: BS Electrical Engineering - My current major: I enjoy this major, but I can tell early on that it is going to tank my GPA in the end. I've never talked to anyone with over a 3.2 in this major here. This route is surely to screw me out of MD and maybe even DO.

Choice 4: BS Biology - Closest to finishing: I need about 45 credits left to graduate in this one. Overloading over the summer and I could technically apply 2013-2014 cycle. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of extracurricular activities, so applying a year or two early is only going to hurt me. Upper level Biology isn't really that interesting though. I'd just be doing this to graduate early.

Choice 5: BS Biomedical Engineering - I'd have to transfer universities to do this one. It is the best option for me, but seeing as I'll be a junior at the end of this semester I don't know if this would be a good idea. My current university doesn't offer BME. This degree is basically a lite Electrical Engineering + Anatomy and Physiology.

Basically looking for a program that I have the best chance of keeping a high GPA and having a decent job outlook in case I don't get into medical school.

tl;dr: BA or BS Physics, BS Electrical Engineering, BS BME, BS Biology?

Members don't see this ad.

You all have more experience in majors than I do. Collectively I feel that you all can give me more insight into the choices I currently have.

Choice 1: BA Physics - PreHealth track: Incorporates pre-med prerequisites into the Physics curriculum. Recommended for pre-meds at my university. Really unnecessary for me since I have Bio, Chem, English, Math, Sociology, and Psychology finished. I'd finish this path in Fall 2014. Don't really want a BA as an alternative to not getting into medical school though.

Choice 2: BS Physics - No concentration: Very math heavy, I'm talking Fourier Analysis and Partial Differential Equations. 400/4000 level Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, and many other theoretical physics courses. Seems like it could tank my GPA, but has a good job outlook.

Choice 3: BS Electrical Engineering - My current major: I enjoy this major, but I can tell early on that it is going to tank my GPA in the end. I've never talked to anyone with over a 3.2 in this major here. This route is surely to screw me out of MD and maybe even DO.

Choice 4: BS Biology - Closest to finishing: I need about 45 credits left to graduate in this one. Overloading over the summer and I could technically apply 2013-2014 cycle. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of extracurricular activities, so applying a year or two early is only going to hurt me. Upper level Biology isn't really that interesting though. I'd just be doing this to graduate early.

Choice 5: BS Biomedical Engineering - I'd have to transfer universities to do this one. It is the best option for me, but seeing as I'll be a junior at the end of this semester I don't know if this would be a good idea. My current university doesn't offer BME. This degree is basically a lite Electrical Engineering + Anatomy and Physiology.

Basically looking for a program that I have the best chance of keeping a high GPA and having a decent job outlook in case I don't get into medical school.

Job prospects with a physics degree are awful; you're going to have a hard time getting a decent job without going to grad school for a PhD in physics or a masters in engineering. Apparently BME is worthless because companies would rather hire a straight EE or ME rather than an inferior bastardization of both.

I agree with the post above. In addition, job prospects aren't great with a BS in Biology, I guess you could work as a lab tech?

Your best bet is probably EE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the post above. In addition, job prospects aren't great with a BS in Biology, I guess you could work as a lab tech?

Your best bet is probably EE.

EE is the option I like the most, but my odds aren't favorable for a good GPA. I am studying hours per day outside of class and the class average is still low 60's. It is very difficult to get a B in these courses. I love engineering and I enjoy the mentally stimulating environment, but through my shadowing experience and conversations with physicians, I really cannot see myself doing anything other than medicine. I either stick with EE and screw myself out of any chance at medical school or I suck it up and major in something with horrible job prospects. I guess I can't have the cake and eat it too. :p

EDIT:
I guess I could major in something with horrible prospects, but put all of my electrical engineering work ethic into getting into medical school and hope that I jump through enough hoops to make it in without having to depend on my worthless degree.

Last edited:

Only for job prospects, EE>BME>Physics>Biology.

If you're truly committed to med school, it sounds like you will be able to get in. With that commitment in mind, wouldn't it no longer matter what the job prospects for your major are?

If you're 100% dedicated to med school all that matters is your GPA.

If you're truly committed to med school, it sounds like you will be able to get in. With that commitment in mind, wouldn't it no longer matter what the job prospects for your major are?

Everyone thinks they will be able to get in. 55% of applicants don't get in.

Everyone thinks they will be able to get in. 55% of applicants don't get in.

I'd say more than 55% of people don't know what they're doing when they apply. If you know what you're doing your chances improve dramatically. Hence why some small liberal arts schools are able to have 90+% medical school acceptance rates.

I would do a BS in physics unless you plan on going to grad school for physics. My school offered a BA, a BSAP (applied physics) for pre-professional students and a BS for students looking at doctoral physics programs. I got the BSAP and my GPA was still shot(3.2/3.0) however, schools seem to understand that physics is a tough major and have applauded my drive and willingness to take up a tougher material. I've had an awesome cycle and was accepted to my top school on Oct 15? i would say go BA in physics, if you change your mind abt med school you can do a master's in almost any field of engineering or science.

I've thought about this a lot honestly. I just know that medical school admissions are getting tougher each year. I want to give myself the best possible chance, but I also don't want to be in a major I don't like for a few years to get there (Sounds like I need to suck it up :p ). I think I'll be a decent applicant, but a lot of medical school admissions comes down to chance and what the interviewer sees in you. Majoring in something with so few job prospects yields taking a leap of faith on my future. I'm taking a gamble on myself being able to get in. EE provides me with good job prospects, interesting work, good salary, and a comfortable life, but it isn't my dream. I guess maybe I should just have more faith in myself.

I've thought about this a lot honestly. I just know that medical school admissions are getting tougher each year. I want to give myself the best possible chance, but I also don't want to be in a major I don't like for a few years to get there (Sounds like I need to suck it up :p ). I think I'll be a decent applicant, but a lot of medical school admissions comes down to chance and what the interviewer sees in you. Majoring in something with so few job prospects yields taking a leap of faith on my future. I'm taking a gamble on myself being able to get in. EE provides me with good job prospects, interesting work, good salary, and a comfortable life, but it isn't my dream. I guess maybe I should just have more faith in myself.
I hear yah! I would be a little worried about my BA in Molec Bio if I wasn't going to med school.

The fact that you're putting this much thought into the process and are willing to take on such a challenging major is a great sign that you'll have the dedication it takes to get into a school. If it is your dream, you'll make it so that you can get in - one way or another. Work hard for 4+ years, get your extracurricular work in, and apply broadly to MD/DO and see where it takes you.

Good luck!

BME grad here. If you are worried about job prospects EE is the best option by far. No one wants to hire a pseudo electrical engineer when they could just hire an actual electrical engineer.

Consider sticking with EE and taking an extra year. You would be able to lighten your course load and beef up your ec' s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in what you love. Doesn't matter if its Petroleum Engineering or Art History. If you're committed to medicine, you will make it work.

you should double major

:laugh:

@OP: Just because you don't know successful EE's doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it if you're genuinely love it. What if the people you knew in EE hated it? You already have a biased sample.

If you love it, you'll do better in it than someone in it for the job prospects. If you're one of those people who are fooling themselves and are in it for the job prospects too, pick something else that won't be as detrimental to your GPA.

I hear yah! I would be a little worried about my BA in Molec Bio if I wasn't going to med school.

The fact that you're putting this much thought into the process and are willing to take on such a challenging major is a great sign that you'll have the dedication it takes to get into a school. If it is your dream, you'll make it so that you can get in - one way or another. Work hard for 4+ years, get your extracurricular work in, and apply broadly to MD/DO and see where it takes you.

Good luck!

Well, it technically won't be 4 years. I'll be a junior in EE after this semester. I can still switch if I want to because 80-90% of the courses I've taken thus far are physics and math that apply to most majors at my university. My GPA right now is slightly lower than 3.5, but 3rd year EE is a GPA killer here. I really don't want to apply to medical school next year and have my prior years grades be the first thing they see. My GPA will have a downward trend and that is never a plus. I did a forum search earlier and it seems like the majority are not recommending EE or any engineering if planning on going to medical school. I might be better off going the safe route with a BA in Physics and just going all out on the MCAT and ECs. I'm sure medical schools love to see people taking on the difficult majors, but at the end of the day they are going to prefer a 4.0 English major to a possibly sub-3.0 EE.

Hardly a joke. Below a 3.0 will screen you out of [all] US MD programs. Choosing a difficult major is unlikely to give more than a .5 boost to your LizzyM (or .05 to your GPA).

My GPA isn't that low yet. My sGPA is a 4.0, but my cGPA is less than 3.5. My cGPA could drop below 3.0 though. I guess I could switch, but I'm practically ruining myself if I fail to get in. What would you do?

My GPA isn't that low yet. My sGPA is a 4.0, but my cGPA is less than 3.5. My cGPA could drop below 3.0 though. I guess I could switch, but I'm practically ruining myself if I fail to get in. What would you do?
Don't fail to get in.

You seem like a smart kid and someone who is intelligently weighing future options. If you want to be a doctor, commit to it. Study as hard as possible for the MCAT, get your ECs in, and apply to DO and MD broadly. If you really want it to happen, take a leap of faith and make it happen.