Need some advice on tweaking my post-bacc plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuttyEngDude

Red-Flagville
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello my non-trad friends!

At the end of this year (after fall in 2011) I will only need ochem2 to complete my pre-req's. my overall gpa should be ~3.14, up from a 2.87 with around 47 total credit hours in my postbac. I'll probably be at ~3.2ish once I complete my pre-reqs in the spring. I think I'm somewhat hosed for DO because my 2.87 is a solid C/B average across the board so grade replacement is not really feasible. Plus, I want to go MD, however I am open to listening/reading links as to why I shouldn't.

The question I have is, should I take a light spring load and focus on studying for the MCAT at that point or should I just continue on through with GPA repair until I get to a respectable level (not sure what a respectable level is but assuming at least 3.4) and then study/take the MCAT?

I calculate the following gpa improvements: after another year (spring 2012), I'll be at 3.37 and the year after that, (spring 2013) I will be at 3.47, at which, presumably I can throw in another 2-3 classes during winter intersessions to hit 3.5.

My in-state school says to go ahead and take the mcat and apply after my pre-req's are done and they will weigh it more heavily, but there is only one in-state school so that would in effect be putting my eggs in one basket if I start off an app cycle. I could, however, just apply to the one school and nothing else (I would be fine with that if I got accepted and if I dont, they claim to not hold previous applications against you other than ask what you've done to improve since then). SMP seems risky since in the time it takes to apply and complete one I could just as easily raise my GPA through currently less risky means.

Biochem and genetics are the classes that are still "leftovers" after my pre-reqs which I could conceivably take in the spring, creating a semester of biochem, genetics, ochem 2 and undergrad research at 15ish hours.

The way I am leaning now is to take the MCAT after the spring and hope schools weigh the post-bacc credit hours plus A LOT more heavily than my previous bachelor's degree (completed over 15 years ago).

So in summary and assuming my EC's are about average for a pre-med (not counting my non-trad stuff which probably have some wow factor but it's too hard to measure, much less depend on), which should I do:

• take a lighter load in the spring, complete the last pre-req while studying for the MCAT
    • only apply to the in-state school since my gpa is still low
    • formally and broadly blast a complete application cycle
  • take a medium load (genetics, biochem w/lab, ochem w/lab, and undergrad research at 15ish hours as well as study for the MCAT w/prep course and volunteering ~4hrs/week).
    • formally and broadly blast a complete application cycle
  • Do a medium load as listed in previous bullet, but wait a while for gpa repair to show its effects, then apply broadly.
  • ignore the MCAT for now, take a heavy load in the spring, continue with gpa repair
    • when would be a good time to stop the gpa repair? after this spring! (@3.21) in 1 year (@3.37)? in 2 years(@3.47)? note: after 2 years i start hitting diminishing returns.
Help me oh great oracles! :)

Thanks!

Love,
NuttyEngDude

ps - please excuse any irreverent tone if it does so appear.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like the one year plan at 3.37, but that's because I'm impatient and wouldn't want to push it out any more (if I had already finished my pre reqs). You would still be below average for MD matriculants, but with a stellar mcat and good ECs you could probably get in with a broad app cycle. I'm guessing your sgpa is higher? Are you looking for a competative specialty? Otherwise, DO schools are somewhat more forgiving in the past gpa area. (read: they will weigh your current classes much higher)

Last edited:
I like the one year plan at 3.37, but that's because I'm impatient and wouldn't want to push it out any more (if I had already finished my pre reqs). You would still be below average for MD matriculants, but with a stellar mcat and good ECs you could probably get in with a broad app cycle. I'm guessing your sgpa is higher? Are you looking for a competative specialty? Otherwise, DO schools are somewhat more forgiving in the past gpa area. (read: they will weigh your current classes much higher)

I will say yes I'm looking for a competitive specialty but I will take a non-competitive one. I'm pretty flexible to be honest, but in regards to sgpa i'll post a table correlating to the cumulative (see below). what abou mcat, when would you take it if you were in my shoes?

6026683177_751688423a.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
That was a good table... and yes, if you knew where you were at in the mcat score, it could give you a better idea of when to take it (and apply). Some people need more time for the mcat to turn out a good score, some less. I think I would try to get my gpa up in the 3.37 range as I said earlier... if you could continue gpa repair this spring (heavy schedule), and take a light load in the fall or next spring (2013) to take the mcat, you could apply June 2013 and have a stronger app. That's what I would do (probably). :thumbup:

Don't really have much to add to what hawkbit is saying.

I undertand your position. Truth is. It's difficult to know. You really will never know.

A lot depends on what kind of money you have and whether or not you can afford successive cycles. Also. How many letters do you have in reserve. With something like interfolio you could track what letter you sent where and change them out for another go round.

I like putting only one or two pots on. And then just standing there watching them while smoking and thinking over the sound of it.

I get cranky doing a bunch of different things. Like a circus clown. So I got my degree. Then took the MCAT while getting my app heated up. Then applied.

Given. A full working stiff's life while at it. But still. Methodical. Easy does it. I wanted to fire once. And get my kill.

I was--am--pittfully inadequate of funds. Which makes decisions somewhat easier.

Point is. Find the rhythm that make sense to you. And f'n go for it.

Thanks Nasrudin and Hawkbit. Your advice, insight, and understanding provide a world of encouragement.

I only wish I was younger, and richer, and hell while I'm at it... better looking :D

I only wish I was younger, and richer, and hell while I'm at it... better looking :D

My wife wishes I was a little taller... :thumbup:

I know it's easy for me to sit here and counsel patience, but believe me when I say I am intimately familiar with the desire to get things done NOW. I would be considerably happier with my progess if I could just be a student full time and knock out classes with care free abandon... but alas my life responsibilities (wife, kids) preclude that particular fantasy. So I trudge slowly along working and taking classes on the side. I am hoping to make a bigger change next year by moving to a weekend job and opening up time during the day for more classes, and I'll have freedom to move from my current location (and by doing that open up much better volunteer opportunities). Anyways, remember the end goal is important enough to take our sweet time to get there!

Does she also wish you were a baller?

My wife wishes I was a little taller... :thumbup:

I know it's easy for me to sit here and counsel patience, but believe me when I say I am intimately familiar with the desire to get things done NOW....

hehe, it's easier for you to say it than for me to come up with it on my own.

Does she also wish you were a baller?
lol dayzie