Need some advice on what I should do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTapplicant54321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I applied to around thirteen schools this cycle. So far, I've gotten one acceptance and I'm on about seven wait lists and I have denied interviews at a few schools that were not accredited yet. I am still waiting to hear back from two schools that I recently had interviews at. No denials yet. I'm very happy that I've gotten the opportunity to be accepted to the other school, but it is about fourteen hours away from home. Moving there would be a pain and I really don't want to go that far away from family and friends. But I've done five years of undergrad so I'm already a year behind and don't know if taking a gap year would be the best option.

Here are my stats:
Total GPA: 3.41
Pre-Req: 3.25
GRE: 150 (Q) 152 (V) 4.0
Extracurricular: sorority, service fraternity, physical therapy fraternity, club tennis, volunteer at humane society and homeless shelter
Hours: over 300 in inpatient nursing home, 50 in outpatient clinic, 20 home health

So, what do you guys think I should do? Should I go to the school that is super far away? Or take a gap year? If you think I should take a gap year, how would I improve my application? I don't really think I could improve my GPA by much because I have so many credits and my advisor said it would take like three years of straight As to even see a difference.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What school did you get accepted to?! Congrats!!! Also you have a lot of observation hours and an average GRE so I am not sure how much more you can improve your application since it's pretty good already since you can't change your gpa!! If the school you got into is good and you like it then I think you should go! I am not sure how important observation hours are because some people have 3000 and others have 150( like me) and they get accepted. My opinion is I want to go to PT school ASAP , get out in 3 years, find a job and pay off my loans!!! You can always find cheap flights and come visit your fam or they can come visit you!

Also there's a good chance you will get off some waitlists!!!

Reactions: 1 user
What school did you get accepted to?! Congrats!!! Also you have a lot of observation hours and an average GRE so I am not sure how much more you can improve your application since it's pretty good already since you can't change your gpa!! If the school you got into is good and you like it then I think you should go! I am not sure how important observation hours are because some people have 3000 and others have 150( like me) and they get accepted. My opinion is I want to go to PT school ASAP , get out in 3 years, find a job and pay off my loans!!! You can always find cheap flights and come visit your fam or they can come visit you!

Also there's a good chance you will get off some waitlists!!!

Thanks so much for your help!! It's a school in Arkansas. But yeah you're right.. it's only three years and I need to start paying off loans as soon as possible!! Thanks and wish you the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, congrats on your acceptance! Getting into PT school is a huge accomplishment, and you can be really proud of yourself. That being said, I think you should plan on attending this school unless you hear about other acceptances from the ones you're waiting on.

Ultimately there are no guarantees that you would be accepted again. I'm not saying this to scare you or devalue you, but there are many factors that go into getting into PT school, not just how good your stats are (and yours are good!) You need to consider the risk, cost, and time you'd take on if you waited. You've already paid a ton of money after applying to 13 schools, and you'd have to pay some/all of it again if you apply in a year. You'd also have to secure LOR again, get hours approved etc. You're right that you wouldn't be able to improve your overall GPA that much in a year, but you could improve one or two pre-reqs if needed. Other than improving GRE score, I don't see many other ways you could improve your application.

I'm finishing up undergrad 10 hours from home, so I completely understand that it's hard to be far away! If being close to home is worth putting this all off, then wait a year. I know I just said it would be a pain and expensive to wait, but you know yourself and your situation better than anyone else does. IMO, starting PT school and leaving because it's not the right time/fit is much worse than waiting a year. Also, don't worry about being a year behind because there's no "one path" to becoming a PT. Some people start PT school at 21, and some start at 40! If you do decide being so far away is a problem, don't apply to schools that far next time. It'll just be a waste of money and everyone's time if you apply to schools you can't realistically see yourself attending. If you wait, narrow down the list and do what you can to improve your stats before the cycle opens again.

On average, it takes four applicants to fill a spot in a DPT program, so you'll probably get off some of those waitlists! Good luck! :)

First off, congrats on your acceptance! Getting into PT school is a huge accomplishment, and you can be really proud of yourself. That being said, I think you should plan on attending this school unless you hear about other acceptances from the ones you're waiting on.

Ultimately there are no guarantees that you would be accepted again. I'm not saying this to scare you or devalue you, but there are many factors that go into getting into PT school, not just how good your stats are (and yours are good!) You need to consider the risk, cost, and time you'd take on if you waited. You've already paid a ton of money after applying to 13 schools, and you'd have to pay some/all of it again if you apply in a year. You'd also have to secure LOR again, get hours approved etc. You're right that you wouldn't be able to improve your overall GPA that much in a year, but you could improve one or two pre-reqs if needed. Other than improving GRE score, I don't see many other ways you could improve your application.

I'm finishing up undergrad 10 hours from home, so I completely understand that it's hard to be far away! If being close to home is worth putting this all off, then wait a year. I know I just said it would be a pain and expensive to wait, but you know yourself and your situation better than anyone else does. IMO, starting PT school and leaving because it's not the right time/fit is much worse than waiting a year. Also, don't worry about being a year behind because there's no "one path" to becoming a PT. Some people start PT school at 21, and some start at 40! If you do decide being so far away is a problem, don't apply to schools that far next time. It'll just be a waste of money and everyone's time if you apply to schools you can't realistically see yourself attending. If you wait, narrow down the list and do what you can to improve your stats before the cycle opens again.

On average, it takes four applicants to fill a spot in a DPT program, so you'll probably get off some of those waitlists! Good luck! :)

Thanks so much for your input!! :) Right now, I am planning on attending the school that I got accepted to. I have already paid the deposit and everything. You are so right about how there are no guarantees that I would be accepted again. I'm not super worried about being far away (although I will miss my family so much), it's mostly my family not wanting me to go. Hopefully I will get off a wait list!! Thanks again, best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for your input!! :) Right now, I am planning on attending the school that I got accepted to. I have already paid the deposit and everything. You are so right about how there are no guarantees that I would be accepted again. I'm not super worried about being far away (although I will miss my family so much), it's mostly my family not wanting me to go. Hopefully I will get off a wait list!! Thanks again, best of luck to you!
Let's say you work min wage job now, let's say you make 20k per year now. Lets say after DPT you will make 65/ yr , that's 45k net income you are giving up by waiting it out for a year. Plus you risk not getting in, take the offer and get your education. I know people who have given up 5-6 years trying to get into med school. A bird in the hand is worth..

Let's say you work min wage job now, let's say you make 20k per year now. Lets say after DPT you will make 65/ yr , that's 45k net income you are giving up by waiting it out for a year. Plus you risk not getting in, take the offer and get your education. I know people who have given up 5-6 years trying to get into med school. A bird in the hand is worth..

You make a good point! Thanks!!