NEED some advice!! (please read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hordel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that I have recieved the HPSP scholarship, just waiting for some paperwork to get cleared up. Before I give the oath, because I don't take that lightly, I wanted to get some help. I wanted to know how much time they give you to prepare for your boards. I have never honestly been a student who has been able to rely on my natural intelligence to succeed. I have studied very hard for every test I have ever taken. Being that the boards is one of the most important tests of my life I think I would want to spend at least a full month studying every day all day, that is how I prepared for the DAT's (even though the result was pretty bad). So, I want to make 100% SURE that I will have the ability to study plenty for this important test. I know that I have already indicated that I wanted the HPSP, and I DO, but I just want to make sure that studying and school will ALWAYS come first while I am in dental school. D school is going to be hard enough without losing a significant amount of study time do to one reason or another. I do NOT mean to offend anyone, I do respect every single solider either servering today, that will be servering in the future, or that has served in the past. In fact my father served in the army as a dentist, not via HPSP. I saw the other post about the person who gave the oath and then wanted to back out and I want to assure you all that I DO NOT have cold feet and am NOT trying to go back on my word. But before I am commissioned and give the oath I want some advice on this issue which is a concern, and the only reason why I am choose not to go via the HPSP.

Thanks one and all for your advice and help!!

Again, I am sorry if I am offending anyone, that is not my purpose!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also applying for a HPSP and I see your worry. I also dont want to go somewhere in the time off (which I will be most likely be using for visiting family, resting up, or studying of the NBDEs) just to do some more military training.
And as far as I know, we will only have to go to COT (officer training) for 1 month in the summer before DS. That is it.... until after DS at which point we will be assigned to go somewhere.
Someone with more experience in this please correct me if I am wrong!

I'm not sure which boards you mean, national Part I, II or the state/regional boards. In any case, the Army will never get the dental officer they've paid for if they never let him finish becoming a dentist first.

You have nothing to worry about. Even if you do have to do the 45 day AT, you should stil have time to study for all the boards.

The only hitch you may run into is if you fail your license exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
In undergrad I did ROTC and we did stuff every day for four years. In Dental school I have been to a bbq and a couple of lunch meetings and that is it. The Army may have you fill out the odd paperwork now and then (meaning once or three times a year) but they will pretty much leave you alone unless you want to do summer training.

No worries mate, take the scholarship.

So because the army is that way, I should assume that for the AF.

In undergrad I did ROTC and we did stuff every day for four years. In Dental school I have been to a bbq and a couple of lunch meetings and that is it. The Army may have you fill out the odd paperwork now and then (meaning once or three times a year) but they will pretty much leave you alone unless you want to do summer training.

No worries mate, take the scholarship.

Thanks for the advice!! I really did need to hear this and it affirms my choice. I will sign on as soon as they get my paperwork cleared, seems like a never ending battle.

Thanks again!!