Need some Advice...please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QWAOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
i needed some advice..Ok i got my BA in May 06, currently taking some Prerqs, and will be applying for the 2008 year and iam registared to take the OAT in July..i am confused as to where to start, i dont know if i should take the Kaplan class, i do have a seat saved for me but i dont know if i want to spend $1299 for the class, i do have the Kaplan BoOk and the TopscorePro..I just dont know where to start as far as studying goes..I am scared..Any Advice would be great.thanks:D

Members don't see this ad.

I would say look over your books and see if anything starts to come back to you. Also, take a practice test with your TopScore Pro to gauge what you know. From there decide if you really want to spend the $$ for something you can teach yourself if you take the time to do it. There are other threads that give advice on the Kaplan class that you should look at.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already taken the general bio/chem/physics and ochem prereqs already? If so, think about how confident you felt when you took those courses. Another factor is whether you have the self-discipline to study on your own and stay on top of the studying. Kaplan does provide more structure which helps you to do all the work on time.

I was also deciding between studying on my own versus taking the Kaplan prep course. In the end, I decided to do it on my own because I felt I had done pretty well in the prereqs so it would be a matter of reviewing the material. I was also pretty confident in being able to keep up on my studying. I was very satisfied with my actual OAT scores.

Do you have the thick Kaplan OAT review book? That was pretty much all I studied from, and I used the OAT achiever program (explains the answers) and the topscore CD (no explanations). I usually studied 2-3 chapters for about 4-6 hrs per day, five times a week. It's helpful if you plan your own schedule ahead of time. I would also recommend that you finish one section all at once as opposed to doing a different section each day.

Hope that helps!

I used some MCAT study books. I thought that worked very well for me. Just study a little extra physics.

thank you very much for the advice, i am actually going to take the Kaplan class b/c i feel its going to help me (lets hope so LOL) once again thank you..

I took the Kaplan MCAT course, because they weren't offering the OAT one in my city and I definitely found it helpful. I think I was over prepared for the science sections and with the Kaplan OAT book and the online OAT references I was able to study quantitative reasoning myself. Also, the essay writing on the MCAT really helped me with the writing samples you have to do at many of the interviews.

Good luck with your studying :D