Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychresy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY2 resident. Our second year is particularly difficult and lately I'm feeling more like I have no idea what I'm doing. I feel like I often have a different plan than my attendings. I get down on myself for not reading more (I'm so exhausted after work). I feel like I forget basic things often. My psychotherapy skills are a very early, messy, work in progress.

On the other hand I did above average on PRITE last year. My evals were all very positive during intern year. I know I'm not going to fail out or anything, but I'm very afraid of never being better than sub-par and never getting a knowledge base that some of my attendings have. I know some of this is irrational but it's bothering me more and more the further into residency I get and the less acceptable it is to have deficits due to being brand new. Any thoughts or words of encouragement?

Members don't see this ad.

You will be okay. Second year has a learning curve. In fact, you are in a good position, because you do not have the infamous Second Year Syndrome: Thinking you know more than the attending, because of one whole year of training. Just keep learning and improving. And your current worries will be an afterthought a year later.

Reactions: 1 user
Your attendings may have learned more since their training than they did during training. Learning is life long and improvement in skills is too.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your attendings may have learned more since their training than they did during training. Learning is life long and improvement in skills is too.
I've heard this repeatedly from multiple different attendings. Obviously it varies, but what I've been told is that on average you have a lot more control over your schedule and hours which makes self-directed learning and reading way easier to integrate into your daily life.

Reactions: 2 users
Residents are mainly there to take care of the least desirable tasks and to do so for less money than they are really worth (and for more time than is ideal/healthy). The main purpose of residency is not education (not by a long shot). Residents are mainly paid in future opportunity, not in education. Like others have said, you may have to wait until after residency to really master the material.

On a side note, one of the keys to not getting burned out is to recognize the above exchange for what it is. While it may not be the romanticized picture that is sold to you on interview day, it is still a win-win, given the income and lifestyle potential of psychiatry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm a PGY3 so am fresh out of where you just were! It all starts to come together. You'll start to notice the knowledge you're accumulating is becoming easier to apply, as well as easier to access when you're interacting with patients. You'll find you're able to be more present in the interview and just "be" rather than trying to do diagnostic impressions or therapy techniques actively, which can detract from the rapport. You'll also have moments where you'll realize just how MUCH you've learned from residency thus far--while also realizing how much more there is to learn moving forward.

It will be okay! You're doing what is expected. Just keep being curious, that's what served me best. Read when you have energy to do so but don't pressure yourself by any means. I bet you're underestimating how much you're truly retaining.

Reactions: 4 users
If you did above average on the PRITE and got great reviews last year, your program loves you and you should consider being more loving to yourself. I slayed the PRITE/had good reviews, but had terrible 2nd year syndrome as above, I bet you my program would have traded me for you in a heartbeat. You having the vulnerability and insight to write this post is already making you better than the majority of your peers.

Reactions: 1 user