1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Plugger, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Plugger

Plugger Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys,
    Canadian here. Just wondering what everybody thinks I should do. My academic stats are good, GPA 3.91, but my DATs are mediocre and my PAT is pretty crappy Academic-19, PAT-15. I want to apply as early as possible but I won't retake my DATs until November(when its offered up here). I was curious as to whether or not you people feel I may be granted an interview and when my new DAT scores become available the school will use those to produce a final decision. My new DAT scores will definitely be better since I only studied for one day (the friday before)the first time. So should I send my application early or what? Oh I'm a University of Toronto grad (Bachelor in Neuroscience). But will be back at school in the fall. I also have over 60 hrs of dental shadowing under my belt if that has any bearing. In fact the dentist I go to watch has been so impressed with me that he has offered me a job as soon as I finish school. Can't beat that....Now all I have to do is get in..Any input is appreciated.
    Later

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Where are you trying to go? I got in with a 19 academic average and 16 PAT, 15 carving. If you apply to US schools, stick to private schools. I had no shadowing experience and frankly didn't really know what a dentist did. So, I would not retake the dat and honestly I didn't study at all for the dat and I don't think studying really would have helped.

It doesn't matter what your degree is in and where you went to school, also I would be hesitant to jump at any job offers until you have passed your board exam and have seen what there is to offer. I would suggest if you go to a US school, you stay in the US, the money is better and it will be easier to pay off your loans.