Need Some Advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help.. My University has a strong chemistry and science program, but very few pre-dental students. As a result, my advisor does not know much about applying to dental school! When I went in to talk to her, she kept forgetting I was pre-dental and kept pulling out stuff for med school apps.. She really did not offer much advice or information regarding dental schools. The most she could do was photocopy a few pages out of a book. I am getting very worried.. :(
I will graduate in the Spring of 2010. So far, I have a strong GPA, and I spent this past summer working at a dental clinic. I still need some shadowing hours... What is the recommended number.. 50?
When should I take my DAT? When should I start the application process??
Any other relevant info is much appreciated...
Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I need some help.. My University has a strong chemistry and science program, but very few pre-dental students. As a result, my advisor does not know much about applying to dental school! When I went in to talk to her, she kept forgetting I was pre-dental and kept pulling out stuff for med school apps.. She really did not offer much advice or information regarding dental schools. The most she could do was photocopy a few pages out of a book. I am getting very worried.. :(
I will graduate in the Spring of 2010. So far, I have a strong GPA, and I spent this past summer working at a dental clinic. I still need some shadowing hours... What is the recommended number.. 50?
Thanks in advance!!

soooooo. for DAT's u should take it sometime in march. study over winter break and during spring break and then take the DAT that saturday. as for shadowing, the more the merrier, but i think some d schools require a minimum of 40 hrs. as for starting your app process, the AADSAS cycle opens on May 15, start your app then and hit submit on June 1st (the first day u can turn in apps). also you can work on asking for letters of rec from your professors rite now and make sure they have them done by May 1st. If your school has an LOR service I recommend using it cuz it works out nicely. You can have ur profs n dentist send their LOR's to the LOR service and the LOR service will take care of mailing it to AADSAS. well hope this helps a bit. feel free to ask more questions if u have any. :)

You've been a member since Feb 07 and you still aren't sure what to do? Start with the stickies on the top of the page

Members don't see this ad :)
You've been a member since Feb 07 and you still aren't sure what to do? Start with the stickies on the top of the page

At least they have a bad a** pony. That thing runs and everything.

external -- Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

drockin -- haha:)

supraman -- I switched my major to pre-dental just last spring.. So I am not sure what I need to do, and I would love advice from people who have been there.

Hey, what about mine?! LOL :p

lmao! I love it...

Oh and to the OP, you worked in a dental clinic all summer... that is dental experience?? I'm sure you looked at what the dentist was doing while you were at work, so you've shadowed more then you think.

First of all, do not panic. The only help I got from my pre-dental adviser was the www.ADEA.org website, and that was all. You can submit your application starting May, 15th; however, any application submitted before August is almost considered early [this does not mean you have to postpone it until August, but I'm simply giving you a better idea of how things work]. The earlier you take your DAT, the earlier your application will be reviewed, assuming schools do have your application. Earlier DAT also means you can retake for the same cycle in case you mess it up the first time [but gain, try to take it when you are ready. Neither too early, nor too late]. You can take DAT for the second and third time with a three month period between the tests.
Ask your professors for the letters of rec right now, and make them get it done, so its ready to send. My school's LOR service was messed up, so i tried to use AADSAS. The best LOR service is AADSAS' electronic [online] service IMO, which lets the professors submit electronically. That way, AADSAS will get to have the letter at the instant the professor submits it online. One of my profs used AADSAS's paper mail option, and the letter got lost, so we had to send it again.
I would say do at least about 200 hours of shadowing until you get your application ready to mail out.
Good luck
P.S read old threads on SDN. SDN helped me a lot overall.

Don't forget too that you need to get official transcripts sent from all of your undergrad schools which can sometimes take awhile to get sent/processed so do it early. And I pretty much memorized the ADEA official guide to dental schools (its like 30 bucks on the website). Great for looking at prices, incoming DATs and GPAs, and number of instate/out of state applicatants. It really helped me pick where to apply - just my two pennies

Here is what you need to know:

1. if you are fairly intelligent, you need about 1.5 months to rock the DAT, my friend studied 3 weeks and got a 20./20/19? something like that. IF you are of average to little above average you'll need about 2 - 2.5 months to study. - IF i were you, i'd sit down through Christmas break - like not have ANY fun, just study all day approx 12-15 hours a day and then sleep and eat. THat's it. NO showering for that month. Just study. You'll get a good score...you need that break to really get studying done because with the interruptions of school i don't know a single person that did well if they took it in the midst of the chaos of school. ... ENSURE you get the best score you can the FIRST TIME you TAKE IT. trust me. IT sucks to have to re-study the material and it's UNBELIEVABLE how much you forget and HOW QUICKLY you forget. ALSO you have to wait 3 months for a retake and you forget about 80% of everthing you memorized, gauranteed. you want to aim for a 20 or above on every section...don't take the test until you are sure you can get a 20 or above...there is a lot of info on SDN about what materials to use. I used Kaplan ONLY. nothing else. I don't htink Kaplan can get you the math score or Bio score. but it can get you all the toher scores.

2. Make sure your extra curriculars are in order - there are liek 10 spots for "Extracurricular/Volunteer/Community Service" IF you want something to talk about take an international service trip - many ppl go through ISL -- Also, right now, create a resume so when the time comes to fill out your aadsas you have a resume to look off of, and you dont' forget anything.

3. For dental experience - there are liek 5 boxes - I reccomend about 100 hours so that NO school is barred to you - i knwo that some schools have prereq.# of hours they expect you to have done.

4. I think Work experience is the next section listed - this too has about 5 spots i think to fill in.

5. Awards and scholarship section also has 5 spaces - here I personally filled in a couple things from highschool - THis is why it helps to have a resume you have kept updated for a while.

6. Last but not least there are about 5 spaces for Research.

*** DOn't let this scare hte bajeezes out of you - if you are lacking in some areas, it's okay, make sure you shine in others... this is hte good thing about d schools- they look at you holistically - and not everyone can be a "perfect candidate" with something to fill in every box.*********

7. Around January or so, start asking professors if they would be willing ot write you a letter - at this point, assure them they have about 2 months to write the letter...they'll agree thinking they have a lot of time. :laugh:...anyhoos, at 1 month send them reminder letters - i've had teachers bail out on me - so I asked about 6 professors total. 2 from my major, 3 science teachers - and 1 random professor that loves me, or it could be a dentist... I personally feel that schools prefer academic letters. Ensure that they realize there is a letter to be written and not just a form that is filled out!!! Also, some schoools offer a letter managing service - go to your career center and check if they have such a service. IF they do, use it, it's more convenient and gauranteed. Also, if you don't get in the first year, they hold on to your letters - removing the hassle of having to ask professors all over again the next year.

***** THIS IS THE MOST IMP STEP - teachers bail often , make SURE you do it early and you ask more profs than you need!*********

8. OK, Last but not least, think about your personal statement - it took me about 15 drafts and about 3-4 weeks to perfect. I got a group of friends to edit it many many many times.

9. Next, open up your AADSAS on MAY 15th! remember that date. that is WHen applications start. Work on it, fill it out. All of your ground work is done. All you have to do is fill in the holes. I hit submit on June 2nd... I don't reccomend pushing it anythign past the first 2 weeks of June.

10. Once you hit submit, work on your secondaries...I created word documents with a protocol to follow for each school **********DON"T WAIT FOR A REQUEST FOR A SECONDARY!!!!!!!********DO it immediately. Send in the money checks, send in the appropriate secondary questions they are often posted on each school's website. Do it immedaitely.

If you follow this protocol you would be Dandy... now this may not be for everyone...

NOW FOR THE LATEST DEADLINES

- dont' submit AADSAS any later than the first 2 weeks of July. (the app takes 3-4 weeks to process)
- don't dip any lower than an AA of 18
- Don't get any lower than a 17 on any one seciton of the DAT
- IF you have high GPA you want your DAT to reflect appropriately - AKA dont' have a 4.0 gpa and a 12 DAT.
- Don't take the DAT any Later than mid first week of July. (it takes 1 week to get the DAT scores out to each indiv school by ADEA)

Finally, lean back, relax, and wait for interviews - but even now, stay on guard. Look at bankstatements to check when cheques have been cashed... If peopel have heard back from schools and you have not, somehting may be wrong, call up and check up (at schools that LET YOU) on the status of your application...

Then, go to interviews, prep off of the SDN database, go with confidence, dress to impress, and you will rock it.

Good stuff dude^ someone should sticky that post lol

I need some help..
Thanks in advance!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527523

1. if you are fairly intelligent, you need about 1.5 months to rock the DAT, my friend studied 3 weeks and got a 20./20/19? something like that.

I believe that the friend you are referring to got a 21 AA not 20 ;)

Spare no expense (time or money) when it comes to DAT studying. Get DAT Achiever, TopScore Pro, Crack Dat Pat, DAT Destroyer, and whatever helps you review your sciences (be it Kaplan review or your Bio textbook). 19 AA is the average for Matriculants and 17 AA is the average for Applicants (I think you know what that means). Shoot for 19+.

7. Around January or so, start asking professors if they would be willing ot write you a letter - at this point, assure them they have about 2 months to write the letter...they'll agree thinking they have a lot of time. :laugh:...anyhoos, at 1 month send them reminder letters - i've had teachers bail out on me - so I asked about 6 professors total. 2 from my major, 3 science teachers - and 1 random professor that loves me, or it could be a dentist... I personally feel that schools prefer academic letters. Ensure that they realize there is a letter to be written and not just a form that is filled out!!! Also, some schoools offer a letter managing service - go to your career center and check if they have such a service. IF they do, use it, it's more convenient and gauranteed. Also, if you don't get in the first year, they hold on to your letters - removing the hassle of having to ask professors all over again the next year.

***** THIS IS THE MOST IMP STEP - teachers bail often , make SURE you do it early and you ask more profs than you need!*********

Very true. I always laugh when it's September and people on these boards are angry at their professors for not getting the letters in and their application is late. If the time comes and you don't have your LORs, you have no one to blame but yourself. Ask them early and often, asking more profs than you need because some will surely flake on you, as Doh Boy said.

- dont' submit AADSAS any later than the first 2 weeks of July. (the app takes 3-4 weeks to process)
- don't dip any lower than an AA of 18
- Don't get any lower than a 17 on any one seciton of the DAT
- IF you have high GPA you want your DAT to reflect appropriately - AKA dont' have a 4.0 gpa and a 12 DAT.
- Don't take the DAT any Later than mid first week of July. (it takes 1 week to get the DAT scores out to each indiv school by ADEA)

True. Early Application + Average Stats often = Interviews. Late Application + Average Stats doesn't add up. Do yourself a favor and submit in June.

Thank you all for your help!!! I truly appreciate it!!!

Doh Boy Fresh -- That was SOOOO helpful!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :bow::bow::bow:

I will plan to devote my winter break to DAT studying.. Woo hoo... So I suppose I should sign up now to take the DAT at the end of winter break..