Need some Advice.

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by PakiPsychguy, May 10, 2012.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Hey all. I am currently doing my BA in psychology (3rd year of 3 years) at the university of Karachi in Karachi, Pakistan. and i will be doing an MA from there as well (its like the British system.) Anyway i am coming to this forum because i am confused.
    the thing is that i want to go to the states or Canada for my Masters but the thing i am worried about is the recognition and validity of my degree. since it follows the British system of 3 year BA followed by a year of MA, i was wondering if my MA would be sufficient enough for me to gain admission into a Masters program in the US or Canada.

    In that same vein i would like to ask about field. in the past 2 summers i have interned in a psychiatric facility twice and am planning to do a an Industrial internship this summer. (i graduate with MA in dec 2013)
    the thing is that i have no idea what to do. i enjoy interacting with patients and dont really like research per any advice in that regard would be helpful as well..

    Thanks for listening to this long story. and i really hope someone could help me in this regard..
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wigflip

    wigflip 2+ Year Member

    Oct 18, 2010
    Most people in the US pick a licensable masters degree based on the type of work they want to do, and the place they want to do it once they've graduated. In some geographic regions and types of work settings, social work masters degrees seem to be a good choice; in others the licensed professional counselor (LPC) or marriage and family therapist (MFT) training is a better choice. Do you hope to take your US masters degree back home to practice, or relocate to the US permanently?


Share This Page