Need some basic info on Podiatric Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futrdr10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am still trying to figure out what I want to do, and I did some research on Physician Assistants and Doctor of Podiatric Medicine and found some stats that I found a bit confusing.

Average GPA for Physician Assistant programs seemed to be around 3.5-3.6, their average salary is around $90k after less than three years of schooling.

Average GPA for DPM is around 3.3, MCAT is about 22, average salary around $130k and 7-10 years of schooling.

So how come average GPA and MCAT is sooo low for DPM? What am I missing? Unless I'm mistaken, DPM are no MD's but they are still doctors. Is it just a unpopular field because it deals strickly with feet?

How competitive is it to get into Podiatric Medicine schools with GPA 3.2 and MCAT 25? that's what I have..

Any information would be greatly appreciated..! thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Major reasons for lower entrance standards include:

1) Very low public awareness. Hardly anyone knows that the profession exists. I didn't find out about Podiatry until towards the end of my undergraduate career. It is simply not a well advertised field.

2) Lack of interest. Not many people want to deal solely and exclusively in feet. Especially to the degree that Podiatrists do. That's one of biggest advantages of going DO/MD as opposed to DPM. You get plenty of choices and have all of medical school to figure out what you want to do. In Podiatry, you only have one choice.

Physician Assistants programs are highly competitive from what I understand and can have entering stats approaching that of medical school. This is because PAs have the opposite of the 2 problems I listed above. They have good public awareness and are very popular for multiple reasons (can choose specialty, only 2 years graduate education, excellent salary and job outlooks). However, being a PA is much different than being a DPM. I would highly recommend you shadow both professions and find out which you can see yourself doing.

Physician assistants also don't ave to put up with residencies comparable to that of MD/DO or DPM. Additionally, their medical malpractice insurance is under the physician they practice for (to the best of my knowledge).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly sure that NP's and PA's need their own malpractice insurance too, and even if most PA's are covered by the employer, you can bet their salary is cut significantly. Many just buy their own malpractice, since some employers don't cover everything, and they can have their own attorneys present.

I noticed the low entrance standards but also noticed DPM schools only accept about 40-50 students per year, just like MD/DO schools.
Judging by low entrance standards, seems like it is pretty easy to get in, but if they only accept 40-50 students, it must be competitive even if only a small number of people apply. How competitive is it really? DPM school websites only has postings about 3.3 avg GPA and 22 avg MCAT.

Also, DPM school tuition is a bit less than DO/MD schools but DPMs make a bit less than DO/MD's. Unless I'm missing a few other information, DPMs still are paid good after tuition debt and insurance while practicing, etc. Do I have the right understanding of DPMs salary or is there something I'm missing?
thanks!

Only thing you should be wary about is that recently there has been a slight residency shortage, and around 15% of the graduating class cannot get a residency that year, and must reapply.

Thanks for this info, this is very important point

What are the best schools? I looked at all 9 schools on AACPMAS and accreditation seem to be different for each and every school. I thought I'd rather ask on this forum than google each and every single accreditation of every school individually.. And are there more than the 9 schools listed on AACPMAS that are accredited? Thanks in advance

I noticed the low entrance standards but also noticed DPM schools only accept about 40-50 students per year, just like MD/DO schools.
Judging by low entrance standards, seems like it is pretty easy to get in, but if they only accept 40-50 students, it must be competitive even if only a small number of people apply. How competitive is it really? DPM school websites only has postings about 3.3 avg GPA and 22 avg MCAT.

Also, DPM school tuition is a bit less than DO/MD schools but DPMs make a bit less than DO/MD's. Unless I'm missing a few other information, DPMs still are paid good after tuition debt and insurance while practicing, etc. Do I have the right understanding of DPMs salary or is there something I'm missing?
thanks!

You should do some more research. Most MD/DO schools matriculate over 100+ students in every class. Also I believe only 4 out of the 9 podiatry schools matriculate around 40-50 students. The other 5 schools matriculate almost double that number every year.

The average income is very debatable for dpm's. The 130 mark probably on the low end of estimates

I would be careful with the salary estimates. Depends on where you work location wise, solo practice or hospital/ ortho group salary. And right now with the ever changing healthcare, the future is very unpredictable

^+1 for cascade

also to add I have also notice a high difference in salary between joining an all pod private practice vs multi specialty groups. Mainly in initial salary offered. There hasn't been much information on the salary after let's say being in practice for 10 years or more.

inb4 full on salary discussion lol.

I would be careful with the salary estimates. Depends on where you work location wise, solo practice or hospital/ ortho group salary. And right now with the ever changing healthcare, the future is very unpredictable

Yeah, thats what I meant by debatable. Lots of factors and small sample sizes from surveys.

I would though figure plan on joining a group versus solo practice that is just where the field is going. Add for which field to do shadow both and don't get caught up on having title of doctor go with what you like more. Finally as for the salary both dpms I shadowed I think made about 150 to 200.

Hey guys,
I am still trying to figure out what I want to do, and I did some research on Physician Assistants and Doctor of Podiatric Medicine and found some stats that I found a bit confusing.

Average GPA for Physician Assistant programs seemed to be around 3.5-3.6, their average salary is around $90k after less than three years of schooling.

Average GPA for DPM is around 3.3, MCAT is about 22, average salary around $130k and 7-10 years of schooling.

So how come average GPA and MCAT is sooo low for DPM? What am I missing? Unless I'm mistaken, DPM are no MD's but they are still doctors. Is it just a unpopular field because it deals strickly with feet?

How competitive is it to get into Podiatric Medicine schools with GPA 3.2 and MCAT 25? that's what I have..

Any information would be greatly appreciated..! thanks guys :)

I know a PA making $150,000, I know a Pod making $300,000.

Location plays a factor, as well as the practitioner.