Need some encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj1878

Water good...
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all---
My files were complete a little late (December) and my DMUCOM was complete just at the beginning of the month (late LOR send from my recommender). DMU just sent me the rejection letter. I'm feeling kind of down because I haven't heard from any of the other schools yet (whenever I call, I get the old "it's still under review" song and dance) and I'm starting to feel like I should be hauling out the old AACOMAS web site to begin reapplication already. Anyone get an interview that received a rejection in the first letter they received? Also, what about CCOM, AZCOM, UNECOM and NYCOM? Are they just really slow to reject, or does the fact that I haven't been rejected yet a semi-good sign? Any reassurances accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

mj1878 said:
Hey all---
My files were complete a little late (December) and my DMUCOM was complete just at the beginning of the month (late LOR send from my recommender). DMU just sent me the rejection letter. I'm feeling kind of down because I haven't heard from any of the other schools yet (whenever I call, I get the old "it's still under review" song and dance) and I'm starting to feel like I should be hauling out the old AACOMAS web site to begin reapplication already. Anyone get an interview that received a rejection in the first letter they received? Also, what about CCOM, AZCOM, UNECOM and NYCOM? Are they just really slow to reject, or does the fact that I haven't been rejected yet a semi-good sign? Any reassurances accepted!
Communicate with those adcoms, especially the recruiters. I was depressed when I got a rejection from KCOM and the song and dance from KCUMB and OSU-COM. I contacted the recruiters at the other two and asked "All other things being equal, if I got a master's degree and reapplied how much more competitive would my app be?" The recruiter at KCUMB informed me that they have a master's program with admission to the med school upon completion with good standing. I overnighted my app and I will be interviewing on Tuesday! KCOM's loss. :D
The point of my story is to keep trying. A pharmacist I work with told me "It just goes to show, if you want in bad enough, you'll find a way." HTH

jkhamlin said:
Communicate with those adcoms, especially the recruiters. I was depressed when I got a rejection from KCOM and the song and dance from KCUMB and OSU-COM. I contacted the recruiters at the other two and asked "All other things being equal, if I got a master's degree and reapplied how much more competitive would my app be?" The recruiter at KCUMB informed me that they have a master's program with admission to the med school upon completion with good standing. I overnighted my app and I will be interviewing on Tuesday! KCOM's loss. :D
The point of my story is to keep trying. A pharmacist I work with told me "It just goes to show, if you want in bad enough, you'll find a way." HTH

I don't think it's KCOM's loss at all. You don't seem like a very competetive applicant. Good luck at your second choice!

- KCOM alumnus
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
mj1878 said:
Anyone get an interview that received a rejection in the first letter they received?

Yes, I got two of them. Stop crying and get over it, it happens.

Personally, I think it was a godsend. If not for the rejections, I wouldn't have the opporunities and experiencies laying ahead of me that I have. Because of the extra year, I'll be a much stronger and much more interesting reapplicant this year.

If you get rejected, you get rejected for a reason. Whether this reason is true or not, who knows, but enjoy your time. Wait until you get in to start worrying about things.

Brass_Monkey said:
I don't think it's KCOM's loss at all. You don't seem like a very competetive applicant. Good luck at your second choice!

- KCOM alumnus
They'll never know... ;)
Well, at least until I'm a famous doctor/senator/super hero like Frist, or a famous surgeon general/war hero/super hero like Carmona.

Brass_Monkey said:

- KCOM alumnus

not very nice....

Brass_Monkey said:

- KCOM alumnus
BTW, KCOM was my third choice. I am interviewing with my first choice on Tuesday. :p

Applying in December is more than " a little" late, its very late.

Apply in June next year, also contact DMU and find out why they rejected you, then work on that part of your application.

I applied in November last year. SImply because I applied late, I was rejected everywhere. This year I got into my school of choice before winter set in. Good luck :luck:

What happened? Why did you apply so late? :confused: