need some encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Propofol482

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Chris, and I just started college. I work at a local hospital as a pharmacy tech., and I am fascinated with the OR. However I can't stand my job in the pharmacy. Is there a job in the OR that you dont have to goto school for? Or what would be a good job to have while going to school? Also I hear it everyday that, I won't make it into Medical School. People say that your dad or mom have to pretty much be a Doctor to get in. I gave up what I loved doin makin money, which was Pro Bmxer, for somethin that I know i'll love much more, being an Anesthesiologist. I've been reading so much about it, and I know thats what I want to do. I think it will be so awesome comforting people at probably the most scariest moment in their lives, and also having the challenge of making split second decisions as well as everything else to go along with being an Anesthesiologist. Is there anything that you guys could tell me that you wish you would have known to get into medical school? I know I can do it, because I want this more than anything else. Any information or advice you could give me will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have to think pretty far back to remember those days. I remember that I went through a lot of hard personal troubles but still got into the medical school of my choice. There's no secret about getting into medical school: MCAT, grades, letters of recommendation. If your GPA isn't what you want it to be, just be sure that the trend of your grades is up. I remember sitting on the admissions committee here and looking at people with 3.5's, good MCAT's, and good LOR's, but with a downward trend in their grades. Always raised a red flag as to why they weren't able to handle the tougher courses or if they had "peaked" in terms of their academic potential and couldn't go any farther. Also made us wonder if they had become complacent or had quit trying and would that trend continue in medical school.

It was always easier to offer an interview or spot to someone who was a proverbial "late bloomer" than someone on a tailspin. Your parents don't have to be doctors or medical professionals or any type of professional. Mine certainly were not.

Working is fine if you are able to maintain your academic pace but if you are not, suck it up and take out the loans. Most of all, DON'T QUIT. It will cost you in terms of your confidence, financially, and in terms of the time you will have wasted pursuing this goal. I have two friends who spent ten years apiece trying to get into medical school: One quit and went to chiropractic school and is currently unemployed unless you count his part time waiter's position. The other just finished his first year of residency and even though he is of advanced age, he is the happiest (and most debt-ridden) person in the world.

Buckle down, study hard, talk to your professors for both their personal advice and future letters of recommendation, and nail the MCAT when the time comes (i.e. spend at least 4-6 months prior preparing for the exam). When you apply, cast your net wide and be flexible with your acceptable choices of medical schools.

From an ex-construction worker and bouncer, I can honestly say that if I can make it, anyone can.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It helps out a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a practical thing -- most universities and often hospitals associated with universities offer programs where employees get a couple of free classes per term. At Penn, where I am now, there are a ton of evening courses. In fact, you can do a biology degree in the evening, from what I understand. And admission is separate for employees (there's a different 'school', but you can take the same classes). Employees of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania also get to take part in the program. I dunno what your situation is, but I know it can be hard to get loans if your family is broke and you don't have anyone to cosign for you.

Another possibility, which my cousin is doing now, is to get your R.N., which you can do at a community school, then work at a university-affiliated hospital where you have a tuition benefit, get a BSN... of course, that track leads you more toward the nursing thing, but you can do really cool things as a nurse (like nurse-anesthesiologist). And it doesnt have to lead you to a nursing route. The great thing about being an RN is you can take wierd shifts, which make it easier to work your way through school.

UTSouthwestern is totally right, though, don't give up. Cracks are a strange thing -- some people fall through them, some people get through them ;)

Let me/us know how it goes for you. I stopped high school after tenth grade to support my family, and am now applying to med school. Who'd'a thunk?

Anka

UTSW,

Just wanted to say that your post cheered me up a great deal.
I switched to a pre-med curriculum as a junior and can honestly say that I am the epidomy of a "late bloomer." I'm giving it my all to achieve a serious upward trend in grades and will not quit because I want to make this happen more than anything I have ever wanted in my short life.

DMD, I hope that one day soon, I'll be looking at your application to this program. Rest when it's time to rest, play when you need a break, and keep your health up, but above all maintain your pace consistently and you WILL make it.

Good luck to all of you!