Need some help and advice as a non trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where to start?

• Apply to RUSM and other Carribbean options

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go exclusively DO

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Go exclusively low tier MD

• Try to get a post bacc and improve GPA

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Just don't even bother

• Total voters

can.i.do.it

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Before you read on I will warn that this is me baring what I have to see what you fine folks have to say about my chances.

I am a 26M looking to go to medical school. I have a 3.2 undergraduate BCPM GPA and no volunteer work (I am trying to score this starting in april 2015) and trying to shadow currently. I took 2 MCATs and they were both very poor (in 2009 I scored a 23T and in 2010 I scored a 26T). VR destroyed me both times and therefore I decided to work instead to see how I felt without medicine. I have signed up for an MCAT course to improve my score and overall odds. I really genuinely want to be a physician for the field and the role it provides. I am motivated by my desire to provide patient care and get the absolute best understanding of the human body and how it works.

I know the stats look bad but is there at all a chance for me?

I recently finished a contract job working in Biopharmaceuticals (it paid great but i felt unaccomplished and did not enjoy it as much as i thought i would). My contract ended so I am looking for another job but in the mean time I went to a RossUSM seminar and felt it was an option but I want to stay state side if possible since I do a lot of stuff to take care of my Mother who is on disability and sister who i am supporting through grad school. most of my work for them can be handled by mail or phone call since its just routine clerical stuff. I have experienced some personal business understanding as well (is it worth discussing that in a personal statement?)

My background is that I was raised by my father who was a Physician (DO) and he passed away within the last 3 years. I feel that through his life's work is where i find my inspiration and he genuinely recommended the medical field to me, I love working with my hands and lending a helping hand or opinion to people.

So for now I have finished all of my personal student loan debt and have secured my mother and sister's finances and the roof over their head. I feel more responsible now than I did as an Undergrad (I was not very mature or happy then and my performance was abysmal.) I am open to the carribbean, DO, Low tier MD and post bacc for gpa enhancement.

the post bacc is the most appealing since it will allow me to recuperate my low statistics and i will also be able to get back into a study routine. but if i am put to the test i am confident i can learn the material now which is why I am motivated now more than ever.

Please vote on my question.

Members don't see this ad.

ThoracicGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Before you read on I will warn that this is me baring what I have to see what you fine folks have to say about my chances.

I am a 26M looking to go to medical school. I have a 3.2 undergraduate BCPM GPA and no volunteer work (I am trying to score this starting in april 2015) and trying to shadow currently. I took 2 MCATs and they were both very poor (in 2009 I scored a 23T and in 2010 I scored a 26T). VR destroyed me both times and therefore I decided to work instead to see how I felt without medicine. I have signed up for an MCAT course to improve my score and overall odds. I really genuinely want to be a physician for the field and the role it provides. I am motivated by my desire to provide patient care and get the absolute best understanding of the human body and how it works.

I know the stats look bad but is there at all a chance for me?

I recently finished a contract job working in Biopharmaceuticals (it paid great but i felt unaccomplished and did not enjoy it as much as i thought i would). My contract ended so I am looking for another job but in the mean time I went to a RossUSM seminar and felt it was an option but I want to stay state side if possible since I do a lot of stuff to take care of my Mother who is on disability and sister who i am supporting through grad school. most of my work for them can be handled by mail or phone call since its just routine clerical stuff. I have experienced some personal business understanding as well (is it worth discussing that in a personal statement?)

My background is that I was raised by my father who was a Physician (DO) and he passed away within the last 3 years. I feel that through his life's work is where i find my inspiration and he genuinely recommended the medical field to me, I love working with my hands and lending a helping hand or opinion to people.

So for now I have finished all of my personal student loan debt and have secured my mother and sister's finances and the roof over their head. I feel more responsible now than I did as an Undergrad (I was not very mature or happy then and my performance was abysmal.) I am open to the carribbean, DO, Low tier MD and post bacc for gpa enhancement.

the post bacc is the most appealing since it will allow me to recuperate my low statistics and i will also be able to get back into a study routine. but if i am put to the test i am confident i can learn the material now which is why I am motivated now more than ever.

Please vote on my question.

Don't go to the Caribbean... Look at DO grade replacement to improve that GPA quickly. Otherwise a SMP might help. The Caribbean schools will sell their schools well and make all sorts of promises, but in the end, less than half the people that start will finish and get a residency program. I don't like those odds.

Reactions: 1 user

can.i.do.it

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't go to the Caribbean... Look at DO grade replacement to improve that GPA quickly. Otherwise a SMP might help. The Caribbean schools will sell their schools well and make all sorts of promises, but in the end, less than half the people that start will finish and get a residency program. I don't like those odds.

Thanks for your input. I did get that feeling from the RossU seminar. It seemed a bit too easy the way they spoke about it. My current Physician is a RUSM graduate and he highly recommended it to me which is why I looked into it.

Do you think the odds of taking a GPA enhancing PostBacc would help me more so than the strict grade replacement?

Members don't see this ad :)

ThoracicGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I did get that feeling from the RossU seminar. It seemed a bit too easy the way they spoke about it. My current Physician is a RUSM graduate and he highly recommended it to me which is why I looked into it.

Do you think the odds of taking a GPA enhancing PostBacc would help me more so than the strict grade replacement?

It depends... Do bad in the SMP/formal PostBac and you'll sink yourself. You need to get your MCAT better as well and now you have the new test. I would lean towards focusing on DO schools, personally. Throw in your state MD schools and maybe some lower tier MD schools as well, but of course it all depends on that MCAT score...

dorothyntoto

Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I know several people who have been accepted DO with similar stats. I'm not sure what your breakdown is so it's hard to say if MD is completely out... also don't know what state you're in. Either way, I was accepted with similar stats, but I did a PB to even get to a 3.2... also my ECs were pretty stellar and I had great LORs. Either way, you can do it if you want to...

can.i.do.it

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It depends... Do bad in the SMP/formal PostBac and you'll sink yourself. You need to get your MCAT better as well and now you have the new test. I would lean towards focusing on DO schools, personally. Throw in your state MD schools and maybe some lower tier MD schools as well, but of course it all depends on that MCAT score...

That's fair enough. My father was a DO and in Family Practice. I think it's a great option and would love the opportunity to do what he did.

I'll focus on the MCAT since that's the glaring issue right now.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you!

can.i.do.it

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I know several people who have been accepted DO with similar stats. I'm not sure what your breakdown is so it's hard to say if MD is completely out... also don't know what state you're in. Either way, I was accepted with similar stats, but I did a PB to even get to a 3.2... also my ECs were pretty stellar and I had great LORs. Either way, you can do it if you want to...

I have my bachelors in Biochemistry from a University of California school. The GPA is a 3.25 cumulative. I can take some more lower division classes to bolster the sciences and numerous upper division classes as well.

Honest question. Does operating a small business count as an EC or should I go out and do more things in the community side of the spectrum?

I guess what I'm saying is I want to give it my absolute best effort and apply to the best options available for me in DO and Allopathic.

Last edited:

dorothyntoto

Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're in CA, you're not in the running for a state MD school. Maybe some lower-tier private schools.
The beauty of DO grade replacement is that you try to retake anything you have a D or F in. Or if you have a lot of Cs some of those. It increases your GPA dramatically. It takes time and effort though, I'm not going to lie!!

can.i.do.it

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're in CA, you're not in the running for a state MD school. Maybe some lower-tier private schools.
The beauty of DO grade replacement is that you try to retake anything you have a D or F in. Or if you have a lot of Cs some of those. It increases your GPA dramatically. It takes time and effort though, I'm not going to lie!!

I thank you for your honesty and your input. My grades are mostly in the B,B- range. No F's and 1 D but I retook and aced that to graduate. Truthfully I don't think I want to stay in CA. I do like some schools in the Midwest and east coast.

My father was a NYCOM graduate so the DO route is for sure something I am interested in.

dorothyntoto

Family Medicine Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Replacing Bs with As won't do much. Not that it would hurt... I think for your situation, and @Goro can probably confirm or correct this, you're best bet is to take a couple semesters of UL science (as many as you can) and get a 4.0. You have to show that you have the ability to get As solidly. Retaking your MCAT wouldn't hurt if you can get a better score, but with the new system, I'm not sure how people are going to do...

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your fastest route to being a doctor is to retrake all F/D/C science coursework and go DO.

If you're boning for the MD, then do a post-bac or SMP, ace it, ace MCAT and then aim for those MD schools that reward reinvention. They do exist.