Need some help from fellow residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

messy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day guys and gals. So I have a problem. I have just matched into radiology into my top program in NJ. Here is the problem. My wife has a job offer in NYC and can not commute from the place in NJ to work. Ideally I would like to transfere to a place in NYC but I do not know how to go about it. I love the program I matched into and have no problem doing 4 yrs there. I do not want to upset anyone and want to keep things very kosher.

What steps can one take if any? Would it be possible to contact PD at NYC programs and see if they can creat a slot for me if they do not have any openings? I know residentswap site but the probablity of a transfere from NJ to NYC is unlikely. any input please?

Members don't see this ad.

You are bond to match. You need a waiver before transferring. If you do not do it, you have violated the match and you will not be able to participate in ACGME approved fellowship like Neuro, IR,.. Though you will be likely able to find a spot in those outside the match as fellowships are not difficult to land.
It is going to be a hassle. Also finding a spot in NY within the city is damn difficult. Nobody is going to open a spot for you. Your best bet is to find someone leaving a program. I would personally stick with my current program as it is more professional and ethical to do it and also you like it.

It sounds like your wife needs to keep looking for a job, in NJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea...you're in a tough situation. The only way out is to have your program director approve you dropping out/swapping. They usually won't even think about this until a year down the line when they are able to replace you with another resident in the match (and they know you well enough to vouch for you when you try to get another spot).

You are either going to have to live apart for a year, or have her give up her job. You giving up your job is pretty much impossible unless you want to kiss your career goodbye.

just live in NYC and commute to jersey.. thats def what i would do if i end up in a program in jersey.