Need some help in SPSS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistral

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very new to SPSS. How do I create a variable in a variable?

My current file is like this ("ID", "Age", "XX" and "XY" are all variables):
Skjermbilde 2018-06-13 kl. 16.18.55.png

But I want to have it this way:
Skjermbilde 2018-06-13 kl. 16.19.11.png

I want to add "time" as a variable in the variable "ID". I know my explanation is horrible, but I'm hoping that someone understands my question. Is there an easy way to do this in SPSS? Or do I have to do it manually?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very new to SPSS. How do I create a variable in a variable?

My current file is like this ("ID", "Age", "XX" and "XY" are all variables):
View attachment 235584

But I want to have it this way:
View attachment 235585

I want to add "time" as a variable in the variable "ID". I know my explanation is horrible, but I'm hoping that someone understands my question. Is there an easy way to do this in SPSS? Or do I have to do it manually?
Just add a new variable for the time component and be sure to input the correct ID.

Are there only some variables that change over time or are remeasured? In other words, if you measure at 3 day intervals, the person's age will probably remain the same for the study period, but if you measure over years, then you will have different age measurements in addition to the variable of interest.

If you only need repeated measures of a single variable, just create the extra variables at T1, T2,T3, etc. Other wise, proceed as you were doing, but fill in the ID column as well to make sure they're properly associated with the correct observation.

Statistics Help @ Talk Stats Forum Check this out if you need further help!

Also, it isn't a variable in a variable, it's repeated measures (multiple measurements of a variable on a given observational/experimental unit).