Need some help...key topics in PM&R to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitriol102

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

So, PM&R is something I've been pursuing for quite some time. As luck would have it, I got a PGY-2 spot. As soon as I get my training license, I may start. I figure that's gonna be between 4-6 weeks.

In the mean time, I'm nervous and would like suggestions from you about which key topics I should study before I start my first rotation - which tentatively is on a ward service.

Appreciate any advice from my future colleagues!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings!

So, PM&R is something I've been pursuing for quite some time. As luck would have it, I got a PGY-2 spot. As soon as I get my training license, I may start. I figure that's gonna be between 4-6 weeks.

In the mean time, I'm nervous and would like suggestions from you about which key topics I should study before I start my first rotation - which tentatively is on a ward service.

Appreciate any advice from my future colleagues!

start with getting the pocketpedia. make sure u know your int medicine well (i would say 75% of what u need to know is medicine) - i.e. UTI, pneumonia, DVT/PE, glucose, fall, etc. - things that will get u paged at night. then, learn how certain rehab diagnoses will make patients prone to above complications - learn about bowel/bladder management, pain medications, psych and sleep, spasticity/contracture/HO, etc. Learn the FIM instrument and lingo. if u know your ward is going to have a specific diagnosis (SCI, TBI, etc.) - read that section in the pocketpedia.

i'm sure your attending will not expect you to know a lot so just make sure to stay humble, interested, and friendly.

I think PM&R Secrets is a good book for "beginners". If you read Secrets for the rehab topics like TBI and SCI, that's a really good start.

Also, I agree with everything axm397 said... especially about buying the pocketpedia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks axm297 & topwise.

One more thing, I've already checkout the stickies which talk about reading materials.

I'm specifically looking for a book which tells you what to do and is not time consuming in reading it. i.e. for IM the program wanted me to read Cecils, which took forever to read a chapter, and worst of all, I found it difficult to apply the information. However, when I switched over to MKSAP...it gave you the info you needed to do the job and also helped you make decisions on how to proceed next. So, I'm looking for the PM&R equivalent of MKSAP.

Any suggestions?

old SAE exams, become a member of AAPM&R and you will have access to them