Need some help making sense of my extremely unusual situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingUp222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my undergraduate years, I completely messed up. I had graduated back in 2011 with an extremely low cgpa (extremely low 2's), practically failed all my tries in any science courses. This was because I wasn't motivated enough. During the years that I was out in the world, I matured more than ever and realized that I am giving up on my dream of becoming a physician. Fast forward to today, I have been taking science courses from the ground up to meet all the requirements that med schools ask for, straight at the beginning from Bio and Inorganic Chem. I am taking them at a community college while working two jobs and supporting my family all at the ripe age of 25. Not much time for EC activities or shadowing, but I have worked in the healthcare field as a senior pharmacy technician for 7 years (ever since I turned 18) as one of my jobs.

So far, I have taken Bio 1 and 2 and Chem 1 and 2 and their respective labs and have gotten all As (just one B in Chem II lab). I am taking Microbiology, Physics 1, and Human A&P this coming semester and will take both Orgos during the summer while finishing the year with A&PII, Physics II, and maybe Genetics or another science course. I am more than confident that I can maintain an extremely high gpa (3.9) and get an excellent score on the MCATs, however, I am not only afraid my undergraduate degree will haunt me for the rest of my life, but also that these courses aren't enough. It is a great feeling to consistently get the top score for every exam in my classes, but I'm afraid it won't help.

I don't know what to do.

I thought I can try gaining admission in the Carribean (since they're probably the only ones who would take me) but after lurking on this forum, it seems as though there are a lot of risks involved. I am not entirely familiar with the risks nor do I understand how residency works and what the fear of going to school in the Carribean is. On top of that, because of how terrible my undergraduate degree transcript is, I am completely in the dark as to how schools in the US (specifically NJ) will react. It is extremely competitive and I'm not sure there is confidence in my ability based on my old transcript.

Can anyone shed some light my way please? What should I do?

I know for a fact that I have what it takes, I just don't know if the schools will have that same confidence. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide me. I'm just really lost.

Members don't see this ad.

During my undergraduate years, I completely messed up. I had graduated back in 2011 with an extremely low cgpa (extremely low 2's), practically failed all my tries in any science courses. This was because I wasn't motivated enough. During the years that I was out in the world, I matured more than ever and realized that I am giving up on my dream of becoming a physician. Fast forward to today, I have been taking science courses from the ground up to meet all the requirements that med schools ask for, straight at the beginning from Bio and Inorganic Chem. I am taking them at a community college while working two jobs and supporting my family all at the ripe age of 25. Not much time for EC activities or shadowing, but I have worked in the healthcare field as a senior pharmacy technician for 7 years (ever since I turned 18) as one of my jobs.

So far, I have taken Bio 1 and 2 and Chem 1 and 2 and their respective labs and have gotten all As (just one B in Chem II lab). I am taking Microbiology, Physics 1, and Human A&P this coming semester and will take both Orgos during the summer while finishing the year with A&PII, Physics II, and maybe Genetics or another science course. I am more than confident that I can maintain an extremely high gpa (3.9) and get an excellent score on the MCATs, however, I am not only afraid my undergraduate degree will haunt me for the rest of my life, but also that these courses aren't enough. It is a great feeling to consistently get the top score for every exam in my classes, but I'm afraid it won't help.

I don't know what to do.

I thought I can try gaining admission in the Carribean (since they're probably the only ones who would take me) but after lurking on this forum, it seems as though there are a lot of risks involved. I am not entirely familiar with the risks nor do I understand how residency works and what the fear of going to school in the Carribean is. On top of that, because of how terrible my undergraduate degree transcript is, I am completely in the dark as to how schools in the US (specifically NJ) will react. It is extremely competitive and I'm not sure there is confidence in my ability based on my old transcript.

Can anyone shed some light my way please? What should I do?

I know for a fact that I have what it takes, I just don't know if the schools will have that same confidence. I appreciate any help that anyone can provide me. I'm just really lost.
If you apply to DO medical schools through AACOMAS, they only count the most recent grade when you retake a class, provided the course credit is the same or greater. Retakes need not be at the same school , or have an identical course title, as long as the course descriptions are very similar in the course catalog. You could essentially remove any grade below a C from impacting your application GPA through this policy.

Concur, but recommend repeat any C science course work as well.

There are a number of MD schools that reward reinvention, when combined with a kickass MCAT score too. At worst case for them, a SMP might be in order. But as Cat recommends, the DO pathway will be easier. Your story is not all that unusual either.

If you apply to DO medical schools through AACOMAS, they only count the most recent grade when you retake a class, provided the course credit is the same or greater. Retakes need not be at the same school , or have an identical course title, as long as the course descriptions are very similar in the course catalog. You could essentially remove any grade below a C from impacting your application GPA through this policy.