Need some help on ethical issues/dilemmas that impacts Pharmacists

Started by Truffles
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Truffles

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I am taking a health class and we are doing presentations on different health careers. Of course, I chose Pharmacist to do my report on 🙂

Anyhow, I am pretty much done with my report with the exception of having to discuss at least one ethical issue that impacts Pharmacists. One issue I have found thus far is confidentiality versus veracity. Apparently, this can occur when a pharmacist is asked to identify drugs found in the possession of children, or to reveal that a daughter is on birth control pills. What are pharmacists taught to do in this case? Are there any other interesting ethical dilemmas I can talk about to the class? Thanks guys, much appreciated. 😀
 
Syringes?

For one, you don't know if they're being used for legitimate or street drug purposes. Assuming the worst and the latter, do you sell them, and thus enabling the user, or refuse them, knowing full well that an infected syringe is not going to stop them from using, and potentially putting them at risk for serious health concerns?